What is the best way to find a specific chemical for a lab class?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nkk2008
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemical Specific
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
nkk2008
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to find a specific chemical for a lab class. The manual states the chemical must:
  1. Be used as a drug in the pharmaceutical industry
  2. Have one chiral center
  3. Be soluble (make 4 Molar solutions) in water
So...any ideas? Or, better yet, is there a database where I can input parameters like these? The only databases I could find wanted a name or chemical formula, which I clearly do not have.


Homework Equations


None


The Attempt at a Solution


I am sort of just looking through drug databases, then searching for all of the drugs on sigma aldrich's website to get solubility. I do know a smaller carboxylic acid would probably be good, but I do not know of a drug that fits that definition (smaller being the problem part).

Thanks,
nkk
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. At least one chiral centre, means that all the groups attached to chiral carbons are different.

Water soluble means, the compound has good dipole moment, probably one group can be Hydroxide group, other can be H, 3rd and 4th can be such that they don't affect the dipole effect of C-OH bond on the whole molecule.
 
I would recommend you to google "Your School SciFinder Scholar", and see if you can get free access through your institution. SciFinder Scholar is an excellent database for scanning through molecules and reactions with specific properties.