• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Studying What is the best way to learn calculus?

• Thread starter victorhugo
  • Start date
I didn't take calculus at school so I'm going to learn it during summer holidays before doing it at uni.
The thing is, the only reason I got so good at General Mathematics is because I didn't follow the step by step to doing a problem and just remembering the rules, I took the time to ask lots of questions to teachers to find the logic behind formulas etc...
Is this applicable to Calculus? Which books would teach similarly?

Thank you in advance!

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I took the time to ask lots of questions to teachers to find the logic behind formulas etc...
Yes, and, books are not good at answering whatever question you try to ask.
I'd suggest finding lots of examples and trying an online set of notes about the rules like Paul's Calculus.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I didn't take calculus at school so I'm going to learn it during summer holidays before doing it at uni.
The thing is, the only reason I got so good at General Mathematics is because I didn't follow the step by step to doing a problem and just remembering the rules, I took the time to ask lots of questions to teachers to find the logic behind formulas etc...

Thank you in advance!
First take care of the prerequisite knowledge. Learn elementary and intermediate algebra very well. Be sure you are not fooling yourself about that. Go through courses for real. Once done, go through a semester course on Trigonometry, preferably a real course; not just through self-directed study. Keep everything in a well-learned state. You should be ready for a course on Calculus, to learn about limits and derivatives and to begin learning about integration. If you are trying this in a self-directed manner, find any typical good textbook, like as written by Larson & Hostetler, or whatever anyone suggests as a beginners textbook which you may find.

Yes, and, books are not good at answering whatever question you try to ask.
I'd suggest finding lots of examples and trying an online set of notes about the rules like Paul's Calculus.
When I said " Which books would teach similarly?" We can leave out the part about asking questions, i was just hoping you'd see the learning style I want :)

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Some of our students are having great success with the online Calculus One course (free) taught by an Ohio State prof through Coursera as a practice run before taking an accredited university 1st semester Calculus course.

It is good to clear the concept first. Mastering calculus also needs a lot of practice solving all kinds of numerical exercises. You need to have sound knowledge of Trigonometry and Algebra.There are ample online and offline material available for this. For beginners I also recommend Khan academy videos.

vela

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
I took the time to ask lots of questions to teachers to find the logic behind formulas etc...

I'll disagree with Simon here. A decent calculus book will provide the reasoning behind the methods and techniques you're learning. Of course, you need to be able to read and digest the material. (Many students can't do this, and you'll often hear them complain that "the book sucks!")

That said, being able to discuss concepts and problems with someone else is invaluable to the learning process. You should see if you can find a study partner to learn calculus along with you.