Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the cause of the occasional itch?

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What is the cause of the occasional itch? one can look in a mirror and not see the cause.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2
    {itches shoulder} I dunno

4. Apr 9, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I would hesitate to even guess in your case.
    As for me, it's been a different cause every trip to the clinic...

5. Apr 9, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Fleas? Fiberglass insulation? Scabies?

6. Apr 9, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like all the other answers better. I was just going to suggest something boring like dry skin or getting tickled by a hair or some such.

7. Apr 9, 2008 #6
    soap combines with hard water sticks to the skin (like the soap scum on shower walls) is one common reason---get a water softener, or that soap that isn't made out of 'soap' if that may be the cause

One way to tell if you have hard water is if you've got long enough hair to try this is:

is your hair 'squeaky' clean when its wet and you pull it? Its really caused by the soap scum stuck on the hair, the the noise (squeak) is like the resin put on a violin bow--without the resin, the violin wouldn't 'sound' hardly at all.

The soap scum on the skin soaks up the natural oils, dries out the skin, and causes the skin to 'itch'.

8. Apr 9, 2008 #7
    The chemical that causes the itch is created by your own skin cells. They produce it when they are irritated. Many different things irritate skin cells. The skin cells in my back get irritated pretty good just when I climb into bed. My wife scratches my back and I feel much better.

9. Apr 9, 2008 #8
    there you go, wolram--get rid of the itch by getting a wife

10. Apr 9, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

It is usually the center of my shoulders that get the occasional itch, normally when i am carrying some thing, this is were doors come in handy.

11. Apr 9, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oooooo, I get an itch like that too. And scratching it doesn't give a lot of relief...at least, not for long.

A nurse told me it's probably a nerve thing, because I get mine after sitting at the computer too long.

12. Apr 9, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

No, getting rid of a wife is much harder than getting rid of an itch.

13. Apr 9, 2008 #12
    it may be dry skin then--you're stretching that area (the skin) and if its dry, its being pulled apart (microscopically), irritating it, causing that chemical to be produced, which causes the itch---try some oil replenishing lotion for a quick fix

14. Apr 9, 2008 #13
    you could always get a chicken and spread some chicken feed on your back--its easy to get rid of a chicken if it doesn't do a scratch

15. Apr 9, 2008 #14

wolram

Gold Member

rewbster, it is no big problem, i may get an itch once a month, having said that my ear has started itching and my nose.

16. Apr 9, 2008 #15
    you know that old saying,

when your nose and your ear both start itching, it's time to get a wife

17. Apr 9, 2008 #16
    My nose only itches when my hands are full.

18. Apr 9, 2008 #17
    hmmm, funny----My hands only itch when my nose is full.

19. Apr 9, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Mine waits until I've scrubbed in for surgery and donned sterile gloves and cannot touch a thing! :grumpy: You have to have REALLY kind coworkers to get them to scratch your nose for you when you can't.

20. Apr 9, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm surprised they don't have a device, like a rubbing station, for this purpose. You know, like the ones you see in barnyards.

21. Apr 9, 2008 #20
    or, you could use the door like wolram does

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?