What is the change of variables for Lennard-Jones potential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Lavace
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[PLAIN]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4287/len2.jpg

Homework Equations


[PLAIN]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2428/len1y.jpg


The Attempt at a Solution


I know my way around the Lennard-Jones potential formula, but this question stumps me.

Any clues on how to proceed are greatly thanked!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just define a new unitless variable as [itex]X=r/\sigma[/itex].
 
nickjer said:
Just define a new unitless variable as [itex]X=r/\sigma[/itex].


I used your defined variable and plugged it in, but still cannot arrive at the proof given in the question, could you possibly expand further?

Thank you!
 
I wouldn't call that a proof. You are just doing a change of variables. You can replace [itex]r/\sigma[/itex] with [itex]X[/itex] in the above equation. Unless 'X' has a meaning that I am unaware of.