What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a 30 degree ramp?

• Thread starter drummerjason
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box sliding down a ramp and determining the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp. The solution involves calculating the forces of gravity in the X direction using the equation F=m(9.81)(sin30.0), and then solving for the force of kinetic friction using the equation F_k=(a_withoutfriction-a_with friction)m. The final answer is determined to be 0.436, but the person asking the question is unsure of the reasoning behind some of the steps in the solution. They mention that they and their friends were able to figure out most of the problem and appreciate the person's response to their question.
drummerjason

Homework Statement

A box slides down a 30.0 degree ramp with an acceleration of 1.20 m/s^2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so what i did was different from what my teacher has, but I can't explain it.
(the answer is supposed to be .436, which is what i got)

1) F=m(9.81)(sin30.0) ...divide by m... a=4.9m/s^2 that would be the ramp with no friction right?

2) so then... F_k=(a_withoutfriction-a_with friction)m --> F_k (4.9-1.2)m= (3.7m/s^2)(m) and that would be the force of kinetic friction (I think).

3) [tex]\mu[/tex]=F_k/F_n --> (3.7)(m)/(9.81)(cos30)(m)= .436

Ok so i got the right answer but I can't explain it. Just for starters, why in step 1, did it have to be sin30? would it be cos30 to find the accleration in the x direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
why in step 1, did it have to be sin30?

If you translate your coordinate system, where the X axis is on the incline you will get mgsin(t) for the forces of gravity in the X direction.

[PLAIN]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4726/gradianthw.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok me a two of my freinds got together tonight and figured out most the theorizing and problems with the problem. And yeah, that diagram was basically what we came up with.

But I really appreciate you taking your time to respond to my question. Thank you!

Related to What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a 30 degree ramp?

1. How can you find force without knowing the mass of an object?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force (F) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a), or F = ma. Therefore, if you know the acceleration of an object and the force acting on it, you can use this equation to find the mass.

2. What is the relationship between force and mass?

The greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. This means that force and mass are directly proportional to each other.

3. Can you calculate force without knowing the acceleration?

No, acceleration is a necessary component in the equation for force (F = ma). Without knowing the acceleration, it is not possible to accurately calculate the force.

4. How does the force affect the motion of an object?

The force acting on an object determines its acceleration, and thus its motion. If a greater force is applied, the object will accelerate faster. If no force is applied, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed.

5. Can you find the mass of an object if you know the force and acceleration?

Yes, by rearranging the equation for force (F = ma) to solve for mass (m), you can find the mass of an object if you know the force acting on it and its acceleration.