What is the coefficient of static friction for a penny on a rotating wheel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
d.tran103
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Can someone look at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Homework Statement


You place a penny on a level rotating wheel at a point 5.00 cm from the center of rotation. You increase the speed of rotation gradually, and once you reach a rotational speed of 0.825 revolutions each second, the penny slides off the wheel. What is the coefficient of static friction

a) 0.718

b) 0.409

c) 0.253

d) 0.137

Homework Equations


Fc = mv^2/r = mac
v=wr

The Attempt at a Solution


Fc = mv^2/r = mac

mv^2/r = mac turns to v^2/r = ac. I converted 0.825 rev/s to rad/s by multiplying by 2pi/1rev to get 5.18 rad/s. I plugged w into v=wr, v=(5.18 rad/s)(.05m) to get v=.259 m/s. I plugged v into v^2/r = ac, .259^2/.05 and got 1.34. However, 1.34 isn't an answer. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You found the acceleration. The question isn't asking for the acceleration. It's asking for a coefficient of static friction. That's the ratio between the normal force and the centripetal force. There should be a g=9.8m/sec^2 in there somewhere.