What is the composition of the universe according to WMAP?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter icarus2
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
icarus2
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
In a WMAP
Matter(4.6) / Dark matter(23.3) / Dark Energy(72.1)

100= M_ord(4.6) + M_dark(23.3) + DE(72.1)

The M_ord is Mc^2 ?
Matter part is only rest mass energy?

M_ord ? mc^2 + gravitational potential energy
M_ord ? mc^2
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
icarus2 said:
In a WMAP
Matter(4.6) / Dark matter(23.3) / Dark Energy(72.1)

100= M_ord(4.6) + M_dark(23.3) + DE(72.1)

The M_ord is Mc^2 ?
Matter part is only rest mass energy?

M_ord ? mc^2 + gravitational potential energy
M_ord ? mc^2
It's difficult to know what you're asking here, but yes, he matter part is effectively only rest mass energy: the kinetic energy component of normal matter is, today, such a minuscule fraction of its energy density that it might as well be neglected.

In the earlier universe, of course, the kinetic energy had to be taken into account.

Also, in the formulation of GR that is used in these calculations, gravitational potential energy is not used.
 
Thanks Chalnoth!

I'm sorry, I can't English well.
So, my question is short!

Again, I'm sorry.

But I get the answer in your answer.

I really appreciate you!

--- Icarus2