1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the concentration of my starch?

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    I weight 7 gram of starch and added 3 gram of ethylen glycol and mixed it with 220 gram water. What is the final concentraion of my starch?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2
    3.043 wt%.

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3
    So for the final volume of the solution we need to sum up everything we added in the solution (starch, ethylen glycol + water). Then divide amount of starch to the total volume (starch+ethylen glycol+water).Am i right? I got confused because It thought presense of ethylen glycol would interfer the concentration of starch and we will not get 3.043 wt %.

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4
    Be careful using the word "volume" unless you really mean it. Keeping it on a weight basis is foolproof. Volumes can combine in unknown ways.

6. Jan 16, 2016 #5
    Sure. So for the final weight we need to sum up (starch+ethylen glycol+water) then divide starch to the final weight. The reason i got confused is in another experiment to the 7 gram of starch i added 223 gram of water and concentration becomes the same 3.043 wt%. So my question is if adding the ethylen glycol would interfere with the concentration of starch?

7. Jan 16, 2016 #6
    Nope; your method of getting wt% is correct.

8. Jan 16, 2016 #7
    Is density of ethylen glycol effect the concentration of starch?

9. Jan 16, 2016 #8
    Nope; as long as it is all on a weight basis, there is no density effect.

10. Jan 17, 2016 #9
    I forgot to tell you about something. My starch has 10 % water content. So basically I weight 7.77 to compensate the water and then i mixed with 3 gram of ethylen glycol and 219.23 gram of water. So my question is now the concentration wt % of starch is 7.77/230=3.37 % or we should consider 7/230=3 %? Because I weight 7.7 gram but it is not only starch but also water is presented together with starch. I took 7.7 gram to compensate the water inside the starch. So, may I ask you what is the concentration wt % of starch in this situation?

11. Jan 17, 2016 #10
    Yes, wt% is 3% "dry basis." My experience in the starch handling industries is that "dry basis" or "dry solids basis" is used to prevent any confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted