Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the condition for fucntion fg^(-1) to exist ?

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what is the condition for fucntion fg^(-1) to exist ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i understand that g^(-1) only happens when its one-one , how about fg^(-1) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2
    Re: function

Are you thinking of [tex](f \circ g)^{-1} = g^{-1} \circ f^{-1}[/tex] ?

Then I think this is what you are looking for
    http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/InverseOfCompositionOfFunctions.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 7, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

[itex]fg^{-1}[/itex] is only defined on the intersection of the domains of f and g.

5. Apr 7, 2010 #4

We know that HallsoftIvy, but you think since this is a pre-Calculus question that the original poster is simply looking for and try to understand the definition of

[tex]f \circ g^{-1}[/tex]?

6. Apr 7, 2010 #5

thanks for helping , i mean [tex]fg^{-1}[/tex] , because i had this previous example , where i am supposed to prove that function gf exist , so the range of f is a subset or equal the domain of g . I wonder if i could applying the same reasoning for this function .

7. Apr 7, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You aren't being clear in what you're asking. Which of the following are you asking about?
    • fg-1, the product of f and g-1
    • (fg)-1, the inverse of the product of f and g
    • f [itex]\circ[/itex] g-1, the composition of f and g-1
    • (f [itex]\circ[/itex] g)-1, the inverse of the composition of f and g

8. Apr 7, 2010 #7

sorry, i meant number 3 .

9. Apr 7, 2010 #8

Mark44

When who is one-to-one? See if you can restate your question in a more precise way.

10. Apr 7, 2010 #9

ok i will look for an example .

The function f and g are defined by f(x)= ln x , x are all positive real numbers and g(x)=x^2-1 , x is all positive real numbers . Determine whether the composite function g^(-1) o f exists . Find the restricted domain of f such that the function exists .

11. Apr 7, 2010 #10

Mark44

For this example, the restricted domain for g makes it a one-to-one function, so the inverse, g-1, exists.

For g-1 o f, you need to look at the domain of f (x such that x > 0), and the range of f. The outputs from f are going to be the inputs to g-1. Are there any numbers in the range of the ln function that are not allowed in the domain for g-1?

12. Apr 8, 2010 #11

the range of f is y such that [tex]y\in R [/tex]

the domain of g^(-1) is the range of g which is (-1 , infinity)

since the [tex]R_f[/tex] is not equal or a subset of [tex]D_{g^{-1}}[/tex] , [tex]g^{-1} \circ f[/tex] doesn't exist .

for the function g^(-1) o f to exist , range of f has to be (-1 , infinity)

Am i correct ?

13. Apr 8, 2010 #12

Mark44

Yes. Now, can you figure out how to restrict the domain of f so that the range of f is {y | y > -1}?

IOW, what restrictions can you place on the domain of ln(x) so that the range is {y | y > -1}?

14. Apr 9, 2010 #13

domain of f is (1/e , infinity) ?

15. Apr 9, 2010 #14

Mark44

Yes, good!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook