What is the condition for fucntion fg^(-1) to exist ?

• Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
So, for the function g-1 o f to exist, we need the restricted domain of f to be (1/e, ∞). In summary, the condition for the function g-1 o f to exist is that the restricted domain of f must be (1/e, ∞).
thereddevils

Homework Statement

what is the condition for function fg^(-1) to exist ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand that g^(-1) only happens when its one-one , how about fg^(-1) ?

Physics news on Phys.org

thereddevils said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Are you thinking of [tex](f \circ g)^{-1} = g^{-1} \circ f^{-1}[/tex] ?

Then I think this is what you are looking for
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/InverseOfCompositionOfFunctions.html

Last edited by a moderator:

[itex]fg^{-1}[/itex] is only defined on the intersection of the domains of f and g.

HallsofIvy said:
[itex]fg^{-1}[/itex] is only defined on the intersection of the domains of f and g.

We know that HallsoftIvy, but you think since this is a pre-Calculus question that the original poster is simply looking for and try to understand the definition of

[tex]f \circ g^{-1}[/tex]?

Susanne217 said:
We know that HallsoftIvy, but you think since this is a pre-Calculus question that the original poster is simply looking for and try to understand the definition of

[tex]f \circ g^{-1}[/tex]?

thanks for helping , i mean [tex]fg^{-1}[/tex] , because i had this previous example , where i am supposed to prove that function gf exist , so the range of f is a subset or equal the domain of g . I wonder if i could applying the same reasoning for this function .

thereddevils said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You aren't being clear in what you're asking. Which of the following are you asking about?
  • fg-1, the product of f and g-1
  • (fg)-1, the inverse of the product of f and g
  • f [itex]\circ[/itex] g-1, the composition of f and g-1
  • (f [itex]\circ[/itex] g)-1, the inverse of the composition of f and g

Mark44 said:
You aren't being clear in what you're asking. Which of the following are you asking about?
  • fg-1, the product of f and g-1
  • (fg)-1, the inverse of the product of f and g
  • f [itex]\circ[/itex] g-1, the composition of f and g-1
  • (f [itex]\circ[/itex] g)-1, the inverse of the composition of f and g

sorry, i meant number 3 .

thereddevils said:
i understand that g^(-1) only happens when its one-one

When who is one-to-one? See if you can restate your question in a more precise way.

Mark44 said:
When who is one-to-one? See if you can restate your question in a more precise way.

ok i will look for an example .

The function f and g are defined by f(x)= ln x , x are all positive real numbers and g(x)=x^2-1 , x is all positive real numbers . Determine whether the composite function g^(-1) o f exists . Find the restricted domain of f such that the function exists .

For this example, the restricted domain for g makes it a one-to-one function, so the inverse, g-1, exists.

For g-1 o f, you need to look at the domain of f (x such that x > 0), and the range of f. The outputs from f are going to be the inputs to g-1. Are there any numbers in the range of the ln function that are not allowed in the domain for g-1?

Mark44 said:
For this example, the restricted domain for g makes it a one-to-one function, so the inverse, g-1, exists.

For g-1 o f, you need to look at the domain of f (x such that x > 0), and the range of f. The outputs from f are going to be the inputs to g-1. Are there any numbers in the range of the ln function that are not allowed in the domain for g-1?

the range of f is y such that [tex]y\in R [/tex]

the domain of g^(-1) is the range of g which is (-1 , infinity)

since the [tex]R_f[/tex] is not equal or a subset of [tex]D_{g^{-1}}[/tex] , [tex]g^{-1} \circ f[/tex] doesn't exist .

for the function g^(-1) o f to exist , range of f has to be (-1 , infinity)

Am i correct ?

Yes. Now, can you figure out how to restrict the domain of f so that the range of f is {y | y > -1}?

IOW, what restrictions can you place on the domain of ln(x) so that the range is {y | y > -1}?

Mark44 said:
Yes. Now, can you figure out how to restrict the domain of f so that the range of f is {y | y > -1}?

IOW, what restrictions can you place on the domain of ln(x) so that the range is {y | y > -1}?

domain of f is (1/e , infinity) ?

Yes, good!

1. What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two quantities, where each input (or independent variable) has only one corresponding output (or dependent variable).

2. What does f and g represent in the function fg^(-1)?

In this function, f and g represent two separate functions. The f function is applied first to the input, and then the g function is applied to the result of the f function. The inverse function of g is then applied to the final result.

3. What is the condition for fg^(-1) to exist?

The condition for fg^(-1) to exist is that both f and g must be one-to-one functions. This means that each input has only one corresponding output, and no two inputs can have the same output. This ensures that the inverse function of g exists.

4. Why is it important for the inverse function to exist in fg^(-1)?

Having the inverse function allows us to "undo" the original function and retrieve the original input. This is useful in many mathematical applications, such as solving equations, finding the domain and range of a function, and creating inverse trigonometric functions.

5. What happens if the condition for fg^(-1) to exist is not met?

If the condition is not met, then fg^(-1) does not exist and the function cannot be evaluated. This could be due to the functions f and g not being one-to-one, or the inverse function of g not existing. In this case, the function may be undefined or may have multiple outputs for a single input.