1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the condition for fucntion fg^(-1) to exist ?

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what is the condition for fucntion fg^(-1) to exist ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i understand that g^(-1) only happens when its one-one , how about fg^(-1) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2
    Re: function

Are you thinking of [tex](f \circ g)^{-1} = g^{-1} \circ f^{-1}[/tex] ?

Then I think this is what you are looking for
    http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/InverseOfCompositionOfFunctions.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 7, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

[itex]fg^{-1}[/itex] is only defined on the intersection of the domains of f and g.

5. Apr 7, 2010 #4

We know that HallsoftIvy, but you think since this is a pre-Calculus question that the original poster is simply looking for and try to understand the definition of

[tex]f \circ g^{-1}[/tex]?

6. Apr 7, 2010 #5

thanks for helping , i mean [tex]fg^{-1}[/tex] , because i had this previous example , where i am supposed to prove that function gf exist , so the range of f is a subset or equal the domain of g . I wonder if i could applying the same reasoning for this function .

7. Apr 7, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You aren't being clear in what you're asking. Which of the following are you asking about?
    • fg-1, the product of f and g-1
    • (fg)-1, the inverse of the product of f and g
    • f [itex]\circ[/itex] g-1, the composition of f and g-1
    • (f [itex]\circ[/itex] g)-1, the inverse of the composition of f and g

8. Apr 7, 2010 #7

sorry, i meant number 3 .

9. Apr 7, 2010 #8

Mark44

When who is one-to-one? See if you can restate your question in a more precise way.

10. Apr 7, 2010 #9

ok i will look for an example .

The function f and g are defined by f(x)= ln x , x are all positive real numbers and g(x)=x^2-1 , x is all positive real numbers . Determine whether the composite function g^(-1) o f exists . Find the restricted domain of f such that the function exists .

11. Apr 7, 2010 #10

Mark44

For this example, the restricted domain for g makes it a one-to-one function, so the inverse, g-1, exists.

For g-1 o f, you need to look at the domain of f (x such that x > 0), and the range of f. The outputs from f are going to be the inputs to g-1. Are there any numbers in the range of the ln function that are not allowed in the domain for g-1?

12. Apr 8, 2010 #11

the range of f is y such that [tex]y\in R [/tex]

the domain of g^(-1) is the range of g which is (-1 , infinity)

since the [tex]R_f[/tex] is not equal or a subset of [tex]D_{g^{-1}}[/tex] , [tex]g^{-1} \circ f[/tex] doesn't exist .

for the function g^(-1) o f to exist , range of f has to be (-1 , infinity)

Am i correct ?

13. Apr 8, 2010 #12

Mark44

Yes. Now, can you figure out how to restrict the domain of f so that the range of f is {y | y > -1}?

IOW, what restrictions can you place on the domain of ln(x) so that the range is {y | y > -1}?

14. Apr 9, 2010 #13

domain of f is (1/e , infinity) ?

15. Apr 9, 2010 #14

Mark44

Yes, good!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook