What Is the Convection Coefficient Between Aluminum 4032 and Steel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter OdinAF
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convection Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
OdinAF
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to figure out the convection coefficient between aluminum 4032 and steel in w/m^2*k

400w-500w? No

Reason being I'm running a simulation of a thermal loaded aluminium detail, that is in contact with a steel plae.
The upper part is heated by an external source.
I need the temperatire of the aluminum piece near the contact spot, but I need the coefficient of thermal convection
around 800w/m^2.k?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think convection is involved in any way? You are talking about two metals touching each other, so as far as I can discern, there is no air movement that is transferring heat, which is the definition of convection. You need to be thinking about conduction, and for that, you have two metals, both with a known thermal conductivity, and you know one side is heated while the other side is presumably insulated, so you can determine the temperatures fairly easily just with pen and paper assuming you can make the proper assumptions about your geometry.