1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is the converse statement of the given sentence?

Tags:
  1. Dec 13, 2017 #1
    The sentence is : "For all real numbers there exists a natural number that is smaller". That is (∀x∈R)(∃n∈N)n>x. This is what I thought of: we can write this sentence as:"If x is a real number, then there exists a natural number n that satisfies n>x." So how would I make a converse statement? Would it be:"If there exists a natural number n bigger than some number x, then every single x is real"?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

The "if" that you inserted isn't necessary and complicates it. In general you transform each ##\forall \longleftrightarrow \exists## and negate the statement. Thus we get ##(\exists x \in \mathbb{R}) (\forall n \in \mathbb{N})\, : \, n \leq x\,##.

4. Dec 13, 2017 #3
    But isn't that exactly the negation of the statement, not the converse? I am interested in "if Q, then P" if the given statement is "If P, then Q", even though this statement isn't in the if - then form. Sorry if I didn't understand you.

5. Dec 13, 2017 #4

fresh_42

2017 Award

First sorry, for not understanding you. Yes, it was the negation. The statement says: If ##x## is a real number, then we can find a natural number ##n > x##. The conversion is a bit strange: If we can find a natural number ##n## which is greater than a given number ##x##, then ##x## is real. This is because ##\in \mathbb{R}## is the only statement on the left. But a nice example on how to get a completely different statement by simply turning the direction of conclusion. A method which is often used by politicians.

6. Dec 13, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would take the converse to be the second part of an iff.

Here you have: If x has property P, then x has property Q."

The converse of this is: If x has property Q, then x has property P.

7. Dec 13, 2017 #6
    Hmmm, but here we have another variable n that that also has some property... How to include this? Sorry if I don't understand.

8. Dec 13, 2017 #7

fresh_42

2017 Award

This is due to the fact, that we don't have a real conclusion. We have a statement here, that a certain set is not empty.

9. Dec 13, 2017 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If it's Friday, X goes to the big cinema.

Converse:

If X goes to the big cinema, then it's Friday.

The converse would not involve changing the "big" cinema to the "small" cinema here.

10. Dec 13, 2017 #9
    Right, so "exists" stays with the n and "all" stays with x, they don't swap places? Thank you anyway.

11. Dec 13, 2017 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The converse of: "All logicians are nerds" is "All nerds are logicians.".

12. Dec 13, 2017 #11

mfb

2017 Award

Is that supposed to be "smaller"? That is (a) wrong and (b) not what the rest of the thread uses.

13. Dec 13, 2017 #12
    What I meant by smaller is n<x. English is not my mother tongue and I am probably not using words the way they are supposed to be used.

14. Dec 13, 2017 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From your posts on this thread it is difficult to find anything that gives you away as a non-native speaker.

15. Dec 13, 2017 #14
    Not sure if a compliment or a reference that I do not really understand the subject.

16. Dec 13, 2017 #15

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It was meant as a compliment.

17. Dec 13, 2017 #16
    Thank you. :)

18. Dec 13, 2017 #17

mfb

2017 Award

Well, you used n>x in your post, that lead to my question.

19. Dec 14, 2017 #18
    You are right, I said smaller, but meant greater. Sorry.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted