What Is the Correct Banked Curve Angle for a Car Traveling at 64 km/hr?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maiia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
Maiia
Messages
78
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A curve of radius r is banked at angle θ so that a car traveling with uniform speed v can
round the curve without relying on friction to keep it from slipping to its left or right.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. If r = 50 m and v = 64 km/hr, what is θ?
Answer in units of ◦.

For this one, I drew a FBD. In my picture, Fny and Fg canceled each out, so the unbalanced force was Fnx. I used N2nd Fnet=ma and used components:
Fnx=max
Fnsintheta=max
Fny= mg
Fncostheta=mg
then i divided them:
Fsintheta max
--------- = --------
Fcostheta mg
The masses canceled out on the right and on the left I had tantheta.
on the right, ax/g= v^2/rg
When I plugged in numbers, I got theta= approx 90 degrees. However, when I submit this answer, it is wrong..could someone help me find out where I messed up?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to follow your work but it looks like your resultant equation is correct: tan(x) = v^2/rg. Make sure to convert the km/hr to m/s before doing the calculation.
 
Maiia said:

Homework Statement


A curve of radius r is banked at angle θ so that a car traveling with uniform speed v can
round the curve without relying on friction to keep it from slipping to its left or right.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. If r = 50 m and v = 64 km/hr, what is θ?
Answer in units of ◦.

For this one, I drew a FBD. In my picture, Fny and Fg canceled each out, so the unbalanced force was Fnx. I used N2nd Fnet=ma and used components:
Fnx=max
Fnsintheta=max
Fny= mg
Fncostheta=mg
then i divided them:
Fsintheta max
--------- = --------
Fcostheta mg
The masses canceled out on the right and on the left I had tantheta.
on the right, ax/g= v^2/rg
When I plugged in numbers, I got theta= approx 90 degrees. However, when I submit this answer, it is wrong..could someone help me find out where I messed up?

The force down the bank will be m*g*sinθ and the force from centrifugal acceleration is your m*v²*cosθ/r

That means that you have v²/(r*g) = tanθ

So to find θ that would be the tan-1( v²/(r*g)) = θ
 
oh that would be the problem, not converting the units >< thanks to both of you for your help! :)