What is the Correct Concentration of Sr2+ in a Saturated SrSO4 Solution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimbo57
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Concentration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Jimbo57
Messages
96
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A saturated solution of SrSO4 has a [SO42-] of 1.0x10-4M. What is the [Sr2+]?

A. 3.4x10-3M
B. 5.8x10-4M
C. 1.0x10-4M
D. 3.4x10-7M

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



It's a multiple choice practice test and the answer key tells me that A is the answer. When I look at the question, the strontium and sulphate have a 1:1 molar ratio so wouldn't the answer be C? Is this a mistake or am I missing something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Saturated solution doesn't have to be produced by putting SrSO4 in water, it can be produced by other means (like dropping some SrSO4 into sulfuirc acid). Then concentration of Sr2+ needs to be calculated from Ksp. I guess you were given Ksp somewhere else. But I agree question is ambiguous.
 
Thanks for the help Borek! Turns out they forgot to supply the ksp value.