What is the Correct Value of Kw at 10°C?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brake4country
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Concentration Hcl
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
brake4country
Messages
216
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement


At 10 C, the concentration of OH in 1 M of HCl is approximately:

Answer: 3x10^15

Homework Equations


Kw=KaKb

The Attempt at a Solution


This answer throws me off. If we assume that HCl completely dissociates, we use the [H+] from the acid in the above equation:
1x10^-14 = 1 [OH]

I get 1 x 10^-14, not 3 x 10^-15. What am I missing here? Is my book wrong? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the table but I still don't think I get it. Since this is for the mcat, how am I supposed to calculate the OH concentration at 10 C?
 
Kw is the equilibrium constant for [H+] and [OH-]. In aqueous solution, Kw remains at 10^-14.
 
brake4country said:
In aqueous solution, Kw remains at 10^-14.

Have you really seen the table? What is the Kw value at 10°C?