What is the correct formula and name for the compound formed by Pb2+ and CrO42-?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cheerspens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Compounds Formula
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
cheerspens
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the formula and name of the compound by combining Pb2+ and CrO42-


Homework Equations


none


The Attempt at a Solution


I thought it was Pb2(CrO4)2 - Lead Chromate.
Why is this wrong and how do I correct it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When writing ionic compounds, you use the smallest number ratio between the ions; you don't always "switch" the charges. Instead of a 2:2 ratio, use a 1:1 ratio for the formula, PbCrO4.
The name is wrong because you need to specify the charge of lead since it has a variable charge.
 
By the way...

Pb2+[/sub] = Plumbous
Pb4+[/sub] = Plumbic
 
That'll work too.

I just prefer the old system.

Lead(II) Chromate is good.