1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question about theory in solving Ksp?

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lead chromate, PbCrO4, is a yellow pigment used in paints. Suppose 0.50 L of a 1.0 x 10-5 M Pb(C2H3O2) and 0.50 L of a 1.0 x 10-3 M K2CrO4 solution are mixed. Calculate the equilibrium concentration of Pb+2 ion remaining in the solution after PbCrO4 precipitates. What is the percentage of Pb+2 remaining in solution after the precipitation has occurred. (The Ksp for PbCrO4 is 1.8 x 10-14)

I have a little question regarding theory about how a website solved this problem.
    2. Relevant equations
    The solution is here on page 21 of the document.
    http://faculty.icc.edu/bcook/chem132NT/acid_base_eq.pdf

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is this: is it really necessary to assume initially that this is a limiting reagent problem and have the reaction of Pb2+ and CrO42- go to completion to form the salt and then do the ICE chart calculation for the solubility, or is it OK if I just go and do the ice chart straight away?

I tried both methods, and both gave the same numerical answer, but which approach is more "legit"?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"ICE?" If you have to use it to satisfy "OC" types, do so. Otherwise, plug it in and grind it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted