Analytical Chemistry- Ksp problem help

In summary: The concentration of lead in 0.0010 M KI with PbI2 is .0012432355. The ionic strength of the solution is .00474, and the activity of lead is .74557681557.
hskrnt8590

Homework Statement

Find the concentration of Pb2+ in 0.0010 M KI with PbI2. Include activity coefficients in your solubility-product expression. The Ksp of PbI2 is 9.8*10^-9

Homework Equations

Ksp= [Pb2+][itex]\gamma[/itex]Pb2+[I-]2[itex]\gamma[/itex]2I-

Assume that [I-]=0.0010 M. The ionic strength of 0.0010 M Ki can be calculated, then used to find the activity coefficients from a table.

The Attempt at a Solution

-The ionic strength is 0.0010 M.
-Based on that ionic strength the activity coefficients are 0.868 for lead and 0.965 for iodide
9.8*10^-9=[lead](.868)[iodide]^2(.965)^2
9.8*10^-9=[x](.868)[.001+2x]^2(.965)^2
solve for x=.0011345

That is wrong and I have no idea why. Could anyone please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything obviously wrong about your calculations (apart from the fact real calculations should take several iterations - knowing x you should immediately see ionic strength is much higher than the one used as a starting point).

What formula do you use for calculation of activity coefficients?

The debeye huckel equation: log([itex]\gamma[/itex])=(-0.51z^2[itex]\sqrt{}I[/itex])/(1+[(a[itex]\sqrt{}I[/itex])/305]

Where: gamma is the activity coefficient. z is the charge of the ion. I is the ionic strength of the solution. a is the ion size parameter, which is 450 for lead and 300 for iodide.

OK, I checked ignoring ion size, that's why my numbers were slightly different.

So the only thing left are iterations...

Borek said:
OK, I checked ignoring ion size, that's why my numbers were slightly different.

So the only thing left are iterations...

I have an iterations calculator now set up through excel, but I am still continuing to get it wrong. I got .00157 this time. Can anyone help?

How do you know it is wrong?

Can you list all concentrations, ionic strength and activity coefficients that you got?

Borek said:
How do you know it is wrong?

Can you list all concentrations, ionic strength and activity coefficients that you got?

It is an online assignment and it says it is wrong. I have tried it two different times now and got the answer of .0012432355 both times and it is wrong.

Concentration of lead = .0012432355
Concentration of iodide = .003508607
ionic strength = .00474
activity of lead = .74557681557
activity of iodide = .92706917508

Have you checked if the results are self consistent?

Ksp = 0.0012432*0.74557*(0.0035086*0.92707)2 = 9.81*10-9

so this part looks OK, but

I = (4*.0012432+1*0.0035086)/2 = 0.0042407

is different from what you listed. Could be just a typo.

I did calculations using a specialized program and it shows very similar results (it uses slightly simplified method of calculation of activity coefficients, one that assumes radius of an ion over 305 is always 1, hence the differences).

attachment.php?attachmentid=51549&stc=1&d=1349422561.png

(don't pay attention to the solid concentration, it is just a way of entering information about the solid presence). Activity coefficients are not shown in this view, but they were calculated to be 0.9270 and 0.7384.

Perhaps your result is correct, you are just fighting some significant figures issue?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,541

1. What is Ksp in analytical chemistry?

Ksp, or solubility product constant, is a measure of the maximum amount of a solute that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature. It is a characteristic property of a particular compound and is used to determine the solubility of a substance in a solution.

2. How do you calculate Ksp?

Ksp is calculated by multiplying the concentrations of the ions in a saturated solution, raised to the power of their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. For example, the Ksp for the reaction AgCl(s) ⇌ Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) would be calculated by multiplying the concentrations of Ag+ and Cl- in the solution.

3. What factors affect Ksp?

The factors that affect Ksp include temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes in the solution. Temperature has the largest effect on Ksp, as it can change the solubility of a substance. Pressure only affects the Ksp of gases, and the presence of other solutes can change the solubility of a substance by altering the ionic strength of the solution.

4. How is Ksp used in chemical equilibrium calculations?

Ksp is used in chemical equilibrium calculations to determine the concentration of a solute in a solution at equilibrium. By comparing the calculated Ksp to the experimental Ksp, the direction of the reaction can be determined and the equilibrium constant (K) can be calculated.

5. Can Ksp be exceeded?

Yes, Ksp can be exceeded in certain cases. If the concentration of a solute in a solution exceeds the Ksp value, the solution is considered supersaturated and the excess solute will precipitate out of the solution. This can occur when a solute is added to a solution at a higher temperature and then cooled, causing the solubility to decrease and the Ksp to be exceeded.