Precipitation from saturated solution

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the amount of PbS that will precipitate from a saturated solution of PbSO4 when the concentration of S2- is adjusted to 1.00E-17. The equations for PbSO4 and PbS Ksp values are given and the attempted solution involves assuming there is no excess PbSO4 in the solution. However, the wording of the problem is unclear and it is necessary to use the given concentration of S2- to calculate the concentration of lead left in the solution. It is not appropriate to assume that all lead precipitated without further verification.
sparkle123

Homework Statement

How many grams of PbS will precipitate from 1.00 L of a saturated solution of PbSo4 if the concentration of S2- is adjusted to give a concentration of 1.00E-17?

Homework Equations

PbSO4 Ksp=1.6E-8
PbS Ksp=2.5E-27

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that there was no excess PbSO4 in the solution. (can i do this?)
I calculated [Pb2+] from Ksp for PbSO4, so i got [Pb2+]=sqrt(1.6E-8)=1.26E-4
Then I assumed all of the Pb2+ precipitated, so n(PbS)=n(Pb2+)=1.26E-4
finally m=0.0303g

Is this a complete solution? Is this even right? How do I mathematically verify my assumption that all the Pb2+ will precipitate (I know that Ksp is very small, so Kf is very large)? Can I assume that there was no excess PbSO4 in the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
There were no excess PbSO4, that's right - solution was saturated, so it contained as much as it could, but not more.

Then it becomes tricky, as wording is lousy to me. There is no S2- in lead sulfate solution. Is 10-17] final concentration of S2-, after precipitation, or is it "initial", before precipitation starts? I guess it the final, after precipitation - if so, you have to use it to calculate concentration of lead left in the solution. You can't assume all lead precipitated, nothing supports this approach.

1. What is precipitation from saturated solution?

Precipitation from saturated solution is a process where the concentration of a solute in a solution exceeds its solubility limit, resulting in the formation of solid crystals or particles, known as precipitates.

2. How does precipitation from saturated solution occur?

Precipitation from saturated solution occurs when the solution becomes supersaturated, meaning that the solute concentration is higher than the solubility limit. This can happen through changes in temperature, pressure, or chemical reactions.

3. What factors can affect the precipitation from saturated solution?

The precipitation from saturated solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, agitation, and the presence of impurities or other substances that may interfere with the solubility of the solute.

4. What is the purpose of precipitation from saturated solution in scientific experiments?

Precipitation from saturated solution is used in scientific experiments to isolate and purify a specific substance from a solution. It can also be used to determine the concentration of a solute in a solution, as well as to create new compounds through chemical reactions.

5. How can precipitation from saturated solution be controlled?

Precipitation from saturated solution can be controlled by carefully controlling the conditions of the solution, such as temperature, pressure, and agitation. Additionally, the presence of impurities or other substances can be minimized to prevent interference with the solubility of the solute.