1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the correct formula for acceleration for SHM

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the mass of a horizontal mass-spring oscillator undergoing SHM is 0.5kg and the force constant is 20N/cm, what is the maximum restoring force of the oscillator? And what is the maximum acceleration? (Time period is 6s and amplitude of oscillation is 12cm)

2. Relevant equations
    Acceleration (a) = -w^2(x) and a = -k(x/m)

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I use the given information and plug in the values, the answer is different for each equation. For the first equation, I get an answer of 0.13ms^-2, and for the latter I get 480ms^-2.

I don't seem to understand why they don't match and which one is correct. because I know we had to equate ma=-kx to derive the equation omega(w) = sqr.rt(k/m).

Any replies would be tremendously helpful. Thanks.

PS - This is my first post. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF

I'm not entirely sure I understand what's confusing you:
    You calculated the acceleration using a=-ω2x and got a different answer than when you used a=-kx/m?

But like you said, ω=√(k/m) so how can the equations be any different?

4. Feb 20, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply.... Actually Yes, I did get two different answers for the different formulae. I think the problem lies with the value to ω. When I use

ω=√(k/m),
    with k = 20N/cm, and m = 0.5kg,
    I get 6.32 rad s^-1 as the answer.

Plugging in this value of ω in

a=-ω^2x gives me 4.80 ms^-2

But when I use

ω = 2π/T, with T = 6s,
    I get the value 1.05 rad s^-1.

Thus, a=-ω^2x now gives me 0.13 ms^-2

I can't figure out why I get two different values. Shouldn't they match? And also, which one is correct?

PS - I used F =-k.x to find the maximum restoring force. I got 240 N which seems to be correct. Its the acceleration bit thats throwing me off.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  5. Feb 20, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The given spring constant and mass imply a natural period of about a tenth of a second. This is a far cry from the suggested 6 seconds. No mention of damping is made (and it would have to be large indeed), so the given values seem self-contradictory.

6. Feb 21, 2015 #5
    Thanks so much..... I was suspecting something must have been wrong with the question. BTW, when you say the information implies a natural period of a tenth of a second, how do you arrive at that conclusion? I don't think I know of any equations or relationships that helps me calculate that. Can you help? :)

7. Feb 21, 2015 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Angular frequency ω is related to the period. You should know how ω relates to f, and how f relates to T.

8. Feb 21, 2015 #7
    Oh, ofcourse, silly me... :)... Thanks... I think I've figured it out... Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted