What Is the Correct Velocity of the Standing Wave?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Spirochete
Messages
125
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The standing wave in the picture is oscillating at 100 Hz. What is it's velocity?


Homework Equations



Velocity=(wavelength)(frequency)

I believe is the equation that applies here.


The Attempt at a Solution



The wavelength from the picture appears to be 20x10-2 meters.

So velocity should equal (20x10-2)(100)= 20 meters per second

But I know this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong?
 
Attachments
  • standing wave.jpg
    standing wave.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Spirochete said:

Homework Statement



The standing wave in the picture is oscillating at 100 Hz. What is it's velocity?


Homework Equations



Velocity=(wavelength)(frequency)

I believe is the equation that applies here.


The Attempt at a Solution



The wavelength from the picture appears to be 20x10-2 meters.

So velocity should equal (20x10-2)(100)= 20 meters per second

But I know this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong?

Why do you say that the wavelength is 20cm? Draw a full cycle of a sine wave -- what does it look like?

Also, be careful with your units. It looks like you are mixing cm and meters in your multiplication and answer...?