What is the Correct Way to Calculate Average Force of Impulse?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Psych Berry
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I can't seem to master this equation, because I think I'm doing things right and I'm not.

Homework Statement


When a 410 baseball gram is hit, its velocity changes from +28.87 m/s to -22.34 m/s. The baseball is in contact with the bat for 56.10 milliseconds. You may assume that the balls outward velocity is antiparallel to its incoming velocity.

What is the magnitude of the average force on the ball?


Homework Equations


FΔt = mΔv


The Attempt at a Solution


(0.410 kg)(-22.34 m/s - 28.87 m/s)/(0.0561 s) = F
374.3 N = F
But this isn't correct.

I messed up Δv before, did I do it again?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
Looks OK to me. Why do you say it's wrong?

It's an online pre-assignment, said my answer was incorrect. I tried playing around with sig figs and signs (in case the question forgot it's supposed to be magnitude), but I've tried 5 times and haven't been able to get it correct.
 
Those online systems can be flaky. But there's nothing wrong with your understanding of that impulse-momentum equation.
 
Doc Al said:
Those online systems can be flaky. But there's nothing wrong with your understanding of that impulse-momentum equation.

That's definitely true, thanks! I for sure trust your physics judgment over the program's.