Calculate Impulse and average force

In summary, a 0.1 kg baseball is struck by a bat while moving horizontally at 40 m/s. The ball leaves the bat with a speed of 50 m/s and at an angle of 30 degrees above its initial path. The impulse exerted by the bat on the ball is (8.33i+2.5j) kg m/s, and the average force exerted during the collision is 5553.3i+1666.6j N with a magnitude of 5797.99 N.
Starrrrr
1. A baseball of mass 0.1 kg is moving horizontally at a speed of 40 m/s when it is stuck by a bat. It leaves the bat in a direction at an angle φ = 30◦ above its incident path and with a speed of 50 m/s.

• Find the impulse the bat exerts on the ball.
• Assuming the collision lasts for 0.0015 s, what is the average

force the bat is exerting on the ball during the impact?

2. F=m(v-u)/t and I=f x change in temperature

3. My attempt was: I subbed the figures into the force equation like so f=0.1(50-40)/0.0015=666.6
I know this is incorrect because I don't know what to do with the angle that was given in the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that velocity is a vector. It has both direction, and magnitude. You've accounted for the magnitude, but not the direction. Let's say we're in Cartesian coordinates, and that the ball is initially traveling along the positive x-axis at 40 m/s. As a vector, we could say this is <40,0,0>. What will the velocity vector be as it's leaving the bat?

TJGilb said:
Keep in mind that velocity is a vector. It has both direction, and magnitude. You've accounted for the magnitude, but not the direction. Let's say we're in Cartesian coordinates, and that the ball is initially traveling along the positive x-axis at 40 m/s. As a vector, we could say this is <40,0,0>. What will the velocity vector be as it's leaving the bat?
I thing I figured out the impulse so what I got was (8.33i+2.5j) kg m/s

What does your x represent in your equation for impulse?

TJGilb said:
What does your x represent in your equation for impulse?
Multiply. I got the magnitude of the force to be 5797.99 N

Starrrrr said:
Multiply. I got the magnitude of the force to be 5797.99 N
Looks good, but you should not specify so many significant figures. Round it to two.

Show me how you plugged in your calculations to find that.

TJGilb said:
Show me how you plugged in your calculations to find that.
Impulse:

momentum of the ball prior to impact is p(o)=mv(o)=o
p(o)=(0.1)(-40i)=-4i kg m/s

momentum of the ball after impact is
p(t)=mv(t)
0.1(50cos(30i)+50sin(30)j)= (4.33i+2.5j) kg m/s
I=p(t)-p(o)=(8.33i+2.5j) kg m/s

Average force: Fav=1/t(I)=1/0.0015((8.33i+2.5j)= 5553.3i+1666.6j N
Magnitude of force is |Fav|= sqrt(5553.3^2+1666.6^2)= 5797.99 N

Nvm, that looks right. I must have plugged it wrong into my calc (missed a negative). But like haruspex said that's more sig figs than you need.

TJGilb said:
Nvm, that looks right. I must have plugged it wrong into my calc (missed a negative). But like haruspex said that's more sig figs than you need.
Ok, thanks for the help! :)

haruspex said:
Looks good, but you should not specify so many significant figures. Round it to two.
Thanks! :)

1. How do you calculate impulse?

To calculate impulse, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the time it was applied. The formula for impulse is J = F * Δt, where J is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the change in time.

2. What is the unit for impulse?

The unit for impulse is Newton-seconds (N*s) or kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s). These units are derived from the formula for impulse, which involves multiplying a force (measured in Newtons) by a change in time (measured in seconds).

3. How do you calculate average force?

Average force can be calculated by dividing the impulse by the change in time. The formula for average force is F = J / Δt, where F is force, J is impulse, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What is the relationship between impulse and average force?

Impulse and average force are directly proportional. This means that as one increases, the other also increases. This relationship can be seen in the formula for average force, which includes impulse as a factor. This also means that a larger impulse will result in a larger average force.

5. How is impulse and average force used in real life?

Impulse and average force are used in many real-life applications, such as sports, car safety, and rocket propulsion. In sports, athletes use impulse and average force to increase their speed and power, such as in a sprint or a jump. In car safety, seatbelts and airbags are designed to increase the time of impact and decrease the average force on an occupant during a car crash. In rocket propulsion, the force from the burning fuel creates an impulse that propels the rocket forward.