Average Force of two people pushing away on carts

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average force between two masses, m1 and m2, at rest and pushing off each other in opposite directions until they reach a distance of 20cm. The conversation includes calculations using kinematic equations and the impulse equation to determine the average force on each cart, which should be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. The final calculation takes the average of the absolute values of the two forces to determine the net average force between the two masses.
Tasdel

Homework Statement

What is the Average Force between m1 and m2. Show all work.
Note that the masses are both at rest, and begin to push off of each other in opposite directions.
Their velocity is measured when they reach 20cms distance. (I calculated the velocity when they reached this point as well. Please let me know if I did that correctly as well using the kinematics formulas d=1/2(0)at^2 and vf=vi+at. Thanks.

m1=148.4 kg, velocity in negative direction = 1.47 m/s, acceleration = 5.47 m/s^2
m2=91.4kg, velocity in positive direction = 2.35 m/s, acceleration = 2.35 m/s^2
Distance both carts traveled 20cm (0.2m) velocity of each cart recorded once the cart passed this point.
Time of contact as m1 and m2 push away from each other 0.78s
2. The attempt at a solution

FΔt=Δ(mv)
F=Δ(mv)/Δt
F=(m1+m2)(vtotal)/0.78s
F= ((148.4+91.4)*(2.35-1.47))/0.78
F=(239.8)*(0.88)/0.78
F=270.54N

Is this correct to find the average force? or should I find the forces out individually on each m1 and m2.
Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Image 1 push..PNG
    Image 1 push..PNG
    42.6 KB · Views: 726
  • Image 2 Push.PNG
    Image 2 Push.PNG
    42.4 KB · Views: 668
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tasdel said:
Their velocity is measured when they reach 20cms distance. (I calculated the velocity when they reached this point as well.
That's what's important. What are these numbers?

You are assuming that when the two accelerate, they do so at constant acceleration. That is far from being the case. Remember Newton's 3rd Law. The force on each person is equal and opposite to the other person. Yet, you claim that the 148.4 kg person has a higher acceleration than the 91.4 kg person! How can that be? Forget the kinematic equations and think impulse.

Likes Tasdel
kuruman said:
That's what's important. What are these numbers?

You are assuming that when the two accelerate, they do so at constant acceleration. That is far from being the case. Remember Newton's 3rd Law. The force on each person is equal and opposite to the other person. Yet, you claim that the 148.4 kg person has a higher acceleration than the 91.4 kg person! How can that be? Forget the kinematic equations and think impulse.

Hi there. I accidentally put the wrong acceleration of cart 2 acceleration is 13.8m/s^2 so sorry.

I was given that in a second there are 240 frames. at 65 frames, the 148kg cart reaches the 0.2m. so i gathered:
65/240 = 0.27s so I plugged in.. d=vi*t+(1/2)at^2
2(0.2m=(1/2)a(0.27)^2)
0.4m=a(0.27)^2
0.4m=0.0729a
a=5.47 m/s^2

So basically I do have distance.. so maybe do FΔT=(m1+m2)*(d/t)
(d/t) because v=d/t?
F*(0.78)=(239.8)*(0.2/0.27)
F=((239.8)*(0.74))/0.78
F=227.73N

Does this work?? Thanks again.

I suggest that you forget about the details of the acceleration because you don't know what they are and you cannot assume that the acceleration is constant. The kinematic equations do not apply here. All you can calculate is the average force that each person exerts on the other. You know the impulse equation Favg.Δt = m Δv.
For each cart, you need to:
(a) Find the time Δt that they are in contact pushing against each other.
(b) Find Δv which their change in velocity; this is vfinal - 0. To find vfinal, you need to find how far the cart moves over how much time after the carts are separated. You can use v = d/t only when the cart is not accelerating.
(c) Use the impulse equation to find the average force exerted while there is contact.

After you calculate the average force on each cart, verify that the two average forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to within your experimental accuracy. Remember that velocity is a vector.

Likes Tasdel
kuruman said:
I suggest that you forget about the details of the acceleration because you don't know what they are and you cannot assume that the acceleration is constant. The kinematic equations do not apply here. All you can calculate is the average force that each person exerts on the other. You know the impulse equation Favg.Δt = m Δv.
For each cart, you need to:
(a) Find the time Δt that they are in contact pushing against each other.
(b) Find Δv which their change in velocity; this is vfinal - 0. To find vfinal, you need to find how far the cart moves over how much time after the carts are separated. You can use v = d/t only when the cart is not accelerating.
(c) Use the impulse equation to find the average force exerted while there is contact.

After you calculate the average force on each cart, verify that the two average forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to within your experimental accuracy. Remember that velocity is a vector.

Thank you so much. So I went ahead and calculated..
Connor = Vc=d/t
Vc=0.2m/(41frames/240)s
Vc=0.20m/0.17s
Vc=1.17m/s
FΔt=mΔv
F=((91.4kg)*(1.17m/s))/(0.78s time of contact)
F=137.1NHailey
Vh=d/t
Vh=-0.2m/(65frames/240)s
Vh=-0.2m/0.27s
Vh=-0.74m/s
FΔt=mΔv
F=((148.4)*(-0.74))/(0.78)
F=-140.8N

Impulse for Connor
137.1x0.78= 106.94Ns

Impulse for Hailey
-140.8Nx0.78= -109.5Ns

So they almost completely cancel out, so the average force should be 0 right? Or should it be -1.8N
Fave.=(137.1+(-140.8))/2
F
ave=-1.8N

Tasdel said:
the average force should be 0 right?
The sum of the average forces should be zero, since they must be equal and opposite. The discrepancy will mostly be from rounding the frame counts to whole numbers. E.g. 41 frames is ±½ a frame, so a 1% error margin.
I assume the question wants the average magnitude of force each experiences, so I suggest taking the average of the two absolute values.

Likes Tasdel
haruspex said:
The sum of the average forces should be zero, since they must be equal and opposite. The discrepancy will mostly be from rounding the frame counts to whole numbers. E.g. 41 frames is ±½ a frame, so a 1% error margin.
I assume the question wants the average magnitude of force each experiences, so I suggest taking the average of the two absolute values.

Thanks for the response haruspex.
The question was. Determine the average force acting on Both Hailey and Connor as they explode apart.
The way I'm interpreting it, is that what's the average force of the absolute values.. so even though one of them is in the negative direction I'm just going to add the sum off both values and divide by two to get the average. Sorry for the silly questions.

Maybe if it asked what the Net foce is it could be 0N...

This is what I think.
(137.1+148.4)/2
Fave=142.8N

Tasdel said:
Thanks for the response haruspex.
The question was. Determine the average force acting on Both Hailey and Connor as they explode apart.
The way I'm interpreting it, is that what's the average force of the absolute values.. so even though one of them is in the negative direction I'm just going to add the sum off both values and divide by two to get the average. Sorry for the silly questions.

Maybe if it asked what the Net foce is it could be 0N...

This is what I think.
(137.1+148.4)/2
Fave=142.8N
Yes, that's what I was suggesting.

Likes Tasdel
haruspex said:
Yes, that's what I was suggesting.
Oh hehe :biggrin: then I interpreted what you said correctly thanks!

I have two observations.
1. I don't think that "average force" in this context means adding the action reaction magnitudes and dividing by 2. The force as a function of time, ##F(t)##, is an unknown. However the impulse-momentum theorem says that ##\int{F(t)~dt}=m \Delta v##. The integral (area under the curve) can be replaced with the equal area of a rectangle of width ##\Delta v## and height ##F_{avg.}## in which case the impulse-momentum equation becomes ##F_{avg.} \Delta t=m \Delta v##. In this case, ##F_{avg.~Connor}=137.1~N## and ##F_{avg.~Hailey}=-142.8~N##. No further averaging is required.
2. The above numbers for the two averages should be reported to the appropriate number of significant figures. The relevant rule is, For quantities created from measured quantities by multiplication and division, the calculated result should have as many significant figures as the measured number with the least number of significant figures*. Here, it looks like the number of sig. figs. is 2. If you change your average force calculations from 4 sig. figs. to 2, what do you get?

Likes Tasdel
kuruman said:
don't think that "average force" in this context means adding the action reaction magnitudes and dividing by 2
Agreed, but ideally the two numbers for that average would have come out the same. Since they did not, because of measurement errors, it seemed reasonable to take their average.

On reflection, though, consideration should be given to exactly where the errors are likely to have come from and the corresponding uncertainties.
If we assume that rounding the frame counts to whole numbers is the greatest source of error, the fractional error is greater for the smaller frame count. This says the averaging of the averages should be biased towardsthe value derived from the larger frame count, in roughly the ratio of the two counts: (137.1x41+148.4x65)/(41+65).

Likes Tasdel

What is the definition of average force?

The average force is the measure of the overall amount of force applied over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total force by the duration of time over which the force is applied.

How is average force calculated in regards to two people pushing away on carts?

In this scenario, the average force would be calculated by adding the individual forces applied by each person and dividing it by the total duration of time that they were pushing on the carts.

What factors can affect the average force of two people pushing away on carts?

The average force can be affected by the weight and strength of the individuals, the friction between the carts and the ground, and the duration of time in which the force is applied.

What are some real-life examples of situations where average force is important?

Average force is important in many real-life scenarios, such as pushing a stalled car, rowing a boat, or even walking. It is also important in sports, such as weightlifting or throwing a ball.

How is average force different from instantaneous force?

Instantaneous force refers to the amount of force applied at a specific moment in time, while average force takes into account the total amount of force applied over a period of time. Average force gives a more accurate representation of the overall impact of the force.