What is the Correct Way to Calculate the Period of Io?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Sheneron
Messages
360
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Universal Gravitation

Homework Statement



Jupiter's closest moon, Io has a mass of 8.90 x 10^22 kg. The mean radius of Jupiter is 6.99 x 10^7m, the mean distance from the center of Jupiter to the center of Io is 4.22 x 10^8m, and the mass of Jupiter is 1.90 x 10^27.

A) Determine the gravitational froce
B)Find the period of Io

The Attempt at a Solution



I solved for F_G and got = 6.334 x 10^22

Then I set up my equation like so:

[tex]F_G = \frac{m_{Io}4\pi^2(R)}{T^2}[/tex]

My question is, for R in the above equation would I just use the distance between the center of masses, or the distance between the center of mass minus the radius of Jupiter? I am sure it is the center of masses, but why is Jupiter's radius in the problem then...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably to tempt you to make the mistake of NOT using the center to center distance. Resist that temptation.