Determine the mass of Jupiter using data about a moon

In summary, using the given data for the moon Io, the mass of Jupiter was determined to be 1.9*10^27 kg by applying the equations for centripetal acceleration and the universal law of gravitation. This was achieved by correcting a mistake in the original calculation where the velocity term was not divided by the period of Io's orbit.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Determine the mass of Jupiter using the data for the moon Io.
Mass of Io: ##8.9*10^{22}##
Period: ##1.77## Earth days
Mean distance from Jupiter in km: ##422*10^3##

Homework Equations

Centripetal acceleration ##a = \frac{v^2}{R} ##
Universal law: ##\frac{GMm}{R^2} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{m_Iv^2}{R} = \frac{m_IM_JG}{R^2} ##
## v^2 = \frac{M_JG}{R} ##
##M_J = \frac{v^2R}{G} ##
##\frac{(2\pi R)^2R}{G} = 1.419*10^{37} ## kg. My answer = wrong
Just like in the post about binary star systems, I see no error in my calculations, yet I am ten magnitudes too great...
Correct answer is ##1.9*10^{27}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##2 \pi R## is not a velocity.

Likes Calpalned
gneill said:
##2 \pi R## is not a velocity.
Thanks Gniell. Once again I forgot to divide ## 2\pi R ## by T. I solved the problem again, corrected my mistake, and got the right answer.

Just a little ##\LaTeX## note: you can say ##8.9 \times 10^{22}## (8.9 \times 10^{22}) instead of using an asterisk.

Likes Calpalned

1. How is the mass of Jupiter determined using data about a moon?

The mass of Jupiter can be determined using data about a moon by applying Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion. This law states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. By measuring the orbital period and semi-major axis of a moon around Jupiter, the mass of Jupiter can be calculated.

2. What data is needed to determine the mass of Jupiter?

To determine the mass of Jupiter using data about a moon, the orbital period and semi-major axis of the moon around Jupiter are needed. These can be measured using telescopes and other astronomical instruments.

3. Can the mass of Jupiter be determined using data from multiple moons?

Yes, the mass of Jupiter can be determined using data from multiple moons. By measuring the orbital periods and semi-major axes of multiple moons, scientists can use Kepler's Third Law to calculate the mass of Jupiter.

4. How accurate is the method of determining the mass of Jupiter using data about a moon?

The method of determining the mass of Jupiter using data about a moon is very accurate. With precise measurements of the orbital period and semi-major axis of a moon, the calculated mass of Jupiter can be accurate to within a few percent.

5. Can the mass of Jupiter change over time?

The mass of Jupiter is not expected to change significantly over time. However, small changes in its mass can occur due to collisions with other objects or the capture of small moons. These changes are typically very small and do not significantly affect the overall mass of Jupiter.