What Is the Current in a Rotating Electron Model of a Hydrogen Atom?

  • Thread starter Thread starter coffeem
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electromagnetism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
coffeem
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Hi I have tried the question below. However I am failing at the first hurdle part a! Some help and advice would certaintly be appretiated. Thanks

Taking a simple model of the hydrogen atom as an electron rotating around the nucleus in a circle or radius 0.53ee-10m at a frequency of 0.66ee16Hz, estimate:

a) The look current,

b) The magnitude of the dipole-moment of the loop,

c) The magnitude and ridection of the magnetic field at a distance of 2ee-9m, from the center of the loop.


For part (a) I tried using the formula: I = NevA, however this gave me an answer which was many orders of magnitude wrong lol.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The loop current is just the rate at which charge is a passing a point in the loop. The electron passes every point 0.66E16 times per second. How much current is that? I don't know what the formula I=NevA is referring to.