What is the Curvature of a Helix Given by a Parametric Equation?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LRP0790
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curvature Helix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 12K views
LRP0790
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the curvature of a helix given by the parametric equation r(t)=<acost, asint, bt> where a and b are real numbers

Homework Equations



I know k=|T'(t)/r'(t)|

The Attempt at a Solution



and I believe the answer to be k=b/(a2+b2)1/2, I just don't know how to get there
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First step, write the formula correctly! You can't divide vectors!
Did you mean k= |T'(t)|/|r'(t)|?

If so then if r= <a cos t, a sin t, bt>, r'= <-a sin t, a cos t, b> and it's length is [itex]|r'|= \sqrt{a^2 sin^2 t+ a^2 sin^2 t+ b^2}= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex], a constant. That means that T, the unit tangent vector is
[tex]T= \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+ b^2}}<-a sin t, a cos t, b>[/tex]

That's easy to differentiate with respect to t (since that whole first fraction is a constant). Do that and take the length of |T'|. Divide by the length of r' which I've already given you.