What is the definition of a planar graph and its properties?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
bogdan
Messages
188
Reaction score
0
What is the definition of a planar graph and which properties does it have ?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
a planar graph is one which can be drawn in a plane with no self-intersections. i believe the simplest nonplanar graph is the inscribed pentagram.
 
Well...I know that...
But isn't there an "abstract" definition which explains what a planar graph is without using the concept of "plan" ?
Only relations between the components of the graph...
 
there are some theorems about when a graph is planar or not. but you want to do what now? define a planar graph without using a plane?
 
Aaa...those theorems sound interesting...that's what I need...
Where can I find them ?
(I want to define a plane using a planar graph )
 
See the book of F. Harary. He gives a complete review starting from the famous theorem of Kuratowski. The booklet by O. Ore does also deal a bit with planarity of graphs.
 
If only I could find those books...anyway...I fount something on the Internet...but it's so complicated...:frown: