What is the degree of dissociation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 8K views
zorro
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



At 627 C and 1 atm pressure, SO3 partially dissociated into SO2 and O2 by SO3--->SO2 +1/2O2. The density of equilibrium mixture is 0.925g/L. What is the degree of dissociation?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I found out the average molecular weight of the mixture by the formula PM=DRT
where D is the density.

Then, average molecular weight = sum of product of mole fractions and molar mass
moles at equilibrium-
SO3- 1-x
SO2- x
O2- x/2

But I did not get correct answer.
The answer is 0.34
Please provide a detailed explanation
 
Physics news on Phys.org
M= DRT/P
M=0.925 x 0.0821 x 900/1= 68.3

this average molecular weight = [80(1-x) + 64x + 32(x/2)] / (1+x/2)
solving this I am getting absurd answer.
 
I checked it again. But no error in math. I guess some equations are wrong.
 
Check your check then, I have solved your equation and got the correct answer.
 
Last edited by a moderator: