What is the Den Hartog Criteria for Tuned Mass Dampers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Criteria
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Dustinsfl
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


I have been searching online but I am unable to find a site that explicitly states the Den Hartog criteria for a tuned mass damper.

What is the Den Hartog criteria?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Look at figure 1, it shows M and m are distinct masses so M is not in fact M+m

I am not sure on how I would design a tuned mass damper from the paper though. I am trying to design one for a system with ##M = 55## kg and a tuned mass damper weighing ##5.5## kg. The natural frequency of the system is ##\omega_n = 12.061## and the forcing function has ##\omega = 183.26##.