What is the Derivative of (1+tanx)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
fitz_calc
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
real quick review needed, I'm working through the quotient rule on a problem and need the first derivative of:

(1+tanx)

is it simply equal to:

(0 + sec^2x * 1)
(sec^2 x)

??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yes that's correct

1 = 0, [tex]\tan{x}=\sec^2{x}[/tex]
 
rocophysics said:
1 = 0
Geez, that's a nice identity.
I wish I could use that on my exam, it would make life a lot easier :biggrin:
 
CompuChip said:
Geez, that's a nice identity.
I wish I could use that on my exam, it would make life a lot easier :biggrin:
lol, you know what i meant ;)
 
Yeah, I know you meant

1' = 0, [tex]\tan(x)' = \sec^2(x)[/tex]
where [tex]' = \frac{\rm d}{{\rm d}x}[/tex].