What is the difference between ÷ and / in terms of Betti numbers?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Difference
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
20 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
22,170
Reaction score
3,335
So, if we consider ÷ and / as topological spaces (as subsets of [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex]). Then we can calculate the Betti numbers of these spaces. The question is how many Betti numbers of these spaces are actually different from each other...
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For people not understanding it: This thread is a joke (: I just wanted to surprise the people who tought it would be just one of these silly threads, about that cursed equation...

Take it lightly :biggrin:
 
I came in here about to launch off on a rant then...

...good recovery!
 
Me too, I couldn't believe micromass would start such a thread!
 
I immediately facepalmed when I saw the title of this thread. Where's the Picard facepalm picture when you need it.
 
gb7nash said:
I immediately facepalmed when I saw the title of this thread. Where's the Picard facepalm picture when you need it.

At your service:

[PLAIN]http://scienceblogs.com/sunclipse/picard-facepalm.jpg

:biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, it was worse than that:

[URL]http://lolpics.se/pics/482.jpg[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it was even worse:

181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg


Ah, allo allo :biggrin:
 
Ah to hell with it:

[PLAIN]http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/funny-sports-pictures-quadruple-facepalm.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Now, if even Jesus finds it stupid...

http://myspace.roflposters.com/images/rofl/myspace/1219849361552.jpg.%5Broflposters.com%5D.myspace.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Betti? I preferred Veronica, but then a Jughead can't touch that...

Archie Award for micromass (we're all out of Reggies)
 
He's lucky, it was nearly a Darwin award for committing PF suicide.
 
"Difference between ÷ and /"

The latter is stick.
The first is a stick with two dots above and below it.

Hey, you asked for it.


*cracks up*
 
FtlIsAwesome said:
*cracks up*

You can get a cream for that...
 
For everyone who's not following Spiked Math, I have the impression that Mike does follow PF! :biggrin:

415-dear-internet.png
 
eh? am i the only one confused about this divide vs. divide divide?

i always used a RPN calculator, so i have no idea what's going on here. (well, a TI briefly for a stats class because it was required.)
 
hmmm.. the inertia of the brackets lends its weight psychologically to the hidden multiplier, leading to the wrong conclusion.. I shall have to speak to my shaman about this disturbance in the force.. Jar Jar Binks strikes again

1/0 = err
0/1 = 0
1/0 x 0/1 = 1 (which let's 1/0 go free on a technicality)
the above completes my trinary data model
 
http://real-college-life.com/fnmeng.info/Pictures/%5BH%5Dard%20Pictures/But%20then%20I%20lol%27d/yo-dawg-at-first-i-was-like.jpg