What is the difference between GET vs POST vs PUT? Mainly POST vs PUT?

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the difference between PUT and POST is that POST is used to submit form data, whereas PUT places data in the body of the request.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
HJTTP request message format
Relevant Equations
none
First of all I am not learning this currently from web development Point of view. So I think I don’t need the extreme level of understanding. I am studying this in a topic called “HTTP protocol”. And in my opinion, I need to learn enough to write what it does in exam paper.

It is so confusing in internet. I can’t explain enough. Firstly I was just confused between PUT and POST. But later someone started to tell me that you could use GET instead of these two in submitting form. That got me confused to next level.

What I have already understood(be it wrong or right I am not sure).

GET-: It helps to retrieve the file indicated by URL in request line from server.

PUT and POST seems same thing to me.

PUT places data in body to the URL in request line.
POST has no such definitions anywhere in books or internet. And it is generalized as “POST is used to submit form data”.
But the gist of these two seems similar ie post data to server. What’s the difference?

And there are like 6,670,000,000 results in google.
But I don’t know how stupid I am to not get this.Most articles in internet are copied from each other and written pretty unprofessionally. I am not very smart. I mean smart in the sense that one who can understand anything taught by anyone and doesn’t need that clarity. I need something very simplified to understand and I don’t find it at least till now.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/630453/what-is-the-difference-between-post-and-put-in-http
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ference-between-a-post-and-a-put-http-request

These are perhaps the only reputable answers about this but I find them very confusing.

They say idemptotencyy is there in some and not in other. But I want their basic difference in working.(PUT is idempotent).
Idempotent means you can keep repeating the same thing again and again but the final result will be the same as the initial result that happened when you did that thing for the first time.

Is this the only difference between POST and PUT working and is their definition same?
Another thing that I am seeing is PUT keeps data to be sent in URL whereas POST doesn’t do it. How do we know about it? I can’t see any information that shows this thing practically. (They say while googling you use PUT so that you can visit that page again as well.) But IDK how to explain, I don’t know how.
Just tell me the difference between PUT and POST in terms of real working difference, Like how they work. Thanks for the information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some differences I found at this site: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Methods. You can drill down on this page to find descriptions of put and post. Each page includes a table of attributes of the HTTP verb (action) being described.

Both - the request has a body.
Success response in body? post - yes, put - no
Safe? post - no, put - yes
Idempotent? post - no, put - yes
Cacheable? post - only if freshness info is included, put - no
Allowed in HTML forms? post - yes, put - no

As far as seeing the information, are you using any "sniffer" tools such as Wireshark or Fiddler? These tools show the request verbs (such as GET, POST, PUT, PATCH, and others) as well as the responses sent back from the server.

Likes shivajikobardan
Mark44 said:
Here are some differences I found at this site: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Methods. You can drill down on this page to find descriptions of put and post. Each page includes a table of attributes of the HTTP verb (action) being described.

Both - the request has a body.
Success response in body? post - yes, put - no
Safe? post - no, put - yes
Idempotent? post - no, put - yes
Cacheable? post - only if freshness info is included, put - no
Allowed in HTML forms? post - yes, put - no

As far as seeing the information, are you using any "sniffer" tools such as Wireshark or Fiddler? These tools show the request verbs (such as GET, POST, PUT, PATCH, and others) as well as the responses sent back from the server.
nice thanks.

What is the difference between GET vs POST?

GET and POST are two different methods used in HTTP requests. GET is used to request data from a specified resource, while POST is used to submit data to a specified resource.

What is the difference between POST vs PUT?

POST and PUT are both used to submit data to a server, but they have different purposes. POST is used to create a new resource, while PUT is used to update an existing resource.

When should I use POST?

POST should be used when you want to send data to a server to create a new resource. This could be used for submitting a form or creating a new user account.

When should I use PUT?

PUT should be used when you want to update an existing resource on a server. This could be used for updating a user's profile information or editing a blog post.

Can I use POST instead of PUT or vice versa?

Technically, you can use POST instead of PUT or vice versa, but it is not recommended. Each method has a specific purpose, so it is best to use them as intended for better organization and understanding of your code.