What is the Dimension and Linear Independence of Subspaces?

  • Thread starter Thread starter seang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bases Dimension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
seang
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
I'm having trouble understanding bases outside of R^n; I've got a handle on those I think.

Here are some examples:

13. In C(-Pi,Pi), find the dimension of the subspace spanned by 1, cos(2x), and cos^2(x).

14. Find the dimension of the subspace of P3 spanned by x, x-1 , x^2+1, x^2-1

I really don't know how to begin either of these

Thanks for any input.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Begin with the definition of a span: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VectorSpaceSpan.html" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hmm I already know about spans but that might have helped actually. thanks.
 
More important, I think, is the definition of "linearly independent". How many of those given functions are linearly independent?