What is the Electric Field in a Cylindrical Sheath?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
abcdmichelle
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A non-conducting, infinitely long, cylindrical sheath has inner radius r=10 m, outer radius r=15 m and a uniform charge density of 9 nC/m^3 spread throughout the sheath. Magnitude of electric field at r=5, r=12, r=17?


Homework Equations


Q=rho(Volume) and phi=EA therefore phi=E(2pi(R)length)
phi=Q/epsilon_0


The Attempt at a Solution


At r=5, Electric field=0
At r=12, phi=Q/epsilon_0, so E(2pi(R)length)=Q/epsilon_0
I just don't know what Q will be.
The same for r=17, I don't know how to find Q.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the charge density. Figure out the volume of sheath enclosed in each case.
 
Thank you Doc Al!

So for r=17, if R is the outer radius of the sheath, then
Q=rho(length)piR^2, so E=(rho(length)piR^2)/(2pi(length)r(epsilon_o), thus
E=(rhoR^2)/(2r(epsilon_o))
is that correct, where i would use r=17 and R=15??
I still don't know how I would figure out E for r=12, the area IN the sheath.

Please help! :)
 
abcdmichelle said:
Thank you Doc Al!

So for r=17, if R is the outer radius of the sheath, then
Q=rho(length)piR^2, so E=(rho(length)piR^2)/(2pi(length)r(epsilon_o), thus
E=(rhoR^2)/(2r(epsilon_o))
is that correct, where i would use r=17 and R=15??
I still don't know how I would figure out E for r=12, the area IN the sheath.

Please help! :)
The sheath only starts at r = 10m and extends to r = 15m. So to find the charge contained in a Gaussian surface with radius 12m, you need the volume of the sheath from r = 10 to 12 m. Similarly, for r = 17 you'd use the entire sheath, so from r = 10 to 15 m.

Hint: To find the volume between r1 and r2, find the volume of each full cylinder and subtract.
 
Thank you very very much Doc Al! This makes so much sense!