What is the Empirical Formula of a Chemical Compound Given Combustion Data?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Whalstib
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemical Formula
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Whalstib
Messages
119
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



35.0mg of C-H-N (the unknown is the empirical formula) combusts to produce 33.5mg CO2 + 41.4mg H2O

Homework Equations


I'm confused by the fact the product does not include N so I'm unsure how to figure for it.



The Attempt at a Solution


Using all the information stoichometrically I have surmised 2 mols of O, 6 mols of H, 1 mol of C.
I used the same type of equations for each ie:
.0335g CO2 (1mol CO2/1mol C 44.01g) * (2mol O/ 1 Mol CO2) = .001522

Oncea again I'm stumped on how to figure the N...

Any help appreciatted!

Warren
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't do the calculation but once you figure out how many mols of C and H you convert back to mass then add them together and find the difference from the total giving you the mass of N. Then you set up the proportions to find their relative amounts for the empirical formula (I believe you should be using the mols instead of the mass for the proportions).