What is the Energy Transfer in a Spring and Oscillation Collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
parwana
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
p13_58alt.gif


A 5.00 g bullet moving with an initial speed of v0 = 405 m/s is fired into and passes through a 1.00 kg block, as in Figure P13.58. The block, initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface, is connected to a spring with a spring constant of 950 N/m.


Figure P13.58
(a) If the block moves 5.00 cm to the right after impact, find the speed at which the bullet emerges from the block.
m/s
(b) If the block moves 5.00 cm to the right after impact, find the mechanical energy lost in the collision. J


I don't know where to begin, its so frustrating
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not that I wouldn't like to help you, but I'm almost 100% positive I've seen this exact picture in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I suggest you do some searching first. :wink:
 
I checked the thread and it wasnt much of a help

I tried to use conservation of momentum for this but it doesn't work
 
The original kinetic energy will be the sum of the spring energy and the bullets remaining kinetic energy after impact.