Girl on Slide: Solving for Normal Force, Energy Transfer, and Final Speed

• Thread starter King_Silver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl Slide
In summary, a girl with a weight of 294 N slides down a 6.5 m long playground slide at an angle of 20◦ with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.23. The normal force acting on the girl is 276.27N and 413 joules of energy is transferred to thermal energy during her slide. Starting at the top with a speed of 0.46 m/s, her speed at the bottom can be calculated using the equation 0.5mu^2 + mgh = 413 + 0.5mv^2, where m is the girl's mass. The principle of conservation of energy applies in this scenario.
King_Silver

Homework Statement

A girl whose weight is 294 N slides down a 6.5 m long playground slide that makes an angle of 20◦ with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the slide and the girl is 0.23.
(a) What is the normal force of the slide acting on the girl?
(b) How much energy is transferred to thermal energy during her slide?
(c) If she starts at the top with a speed of 0.46 m/s, what is her speed at the bottom?

Homework Equations

N = mgCosQ
Ffr = Coefficient of Ke * N
Wfr = Ffr * d

where...
Ke =0.23
Q =20 degrees
m = 294 N
g = 9.81m/s^2
d (length) = 6.5m

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(a) N = mgCosQ as I am looking for the normal force.
-Sub in values given...
N = 294Cos(20)
N = 276.27N

(b) Ffr = 0.23 * 276.27N
Wfr = Ffr *d
Wfr = Ffr *6.5
Ffr = 63.54J
Wfr = 413.023 Joules

(c) I think I have gotten the last two parts right but its the 3rd part that I don't understand. I drew a diagram and because it is a slide (I presume it has a ladder going straight up) which would make it a right angled triangle.
20,70,90 degree angles with a length of 6.5m. Using this I calculated the height to be 2.22m.

I know have this formula: Eo = mgh + mv^2 but also V^2 = 2gh
I'm given an initial speed but am confused how it relates to anything I have. Am I approaching this question in a correct manner? Thanks in advance to anyone willing to guide me along and help me understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the solution is as follows:

She starts off with potential energy mgh (where mg is the girl's weight (294 N) and the h = 2.22 m) and with kinetic energy 0.5mu^2 (where u = 0.46 m/s is her initial speed). All these values we can calculate explicitly.

By the time she reaches the bottom, 413 joules of the total that she started off with has been converted into heat because of the work done against friction, but whatever is left over will be the girl's kinetic energy at the bottom.

Does that help?

Likes King_Silver
mcairtime said:
I think the solution is as follows:

She starts off with potential energy mgh (where mg is the girl's weight (294 N) and the h = 2.22 m) and with kinetic energy 0.5mu^2 (where u = 0.46 m/s is her initial speed). All these values we can calculate explicitly.

By the time she reaches the bottom, 413 joules of the total that she started off with has been converted into heat because of the work done against friction, but whatever is left over will be the girl's kinetic energy at the bottom.

Does that help?

Ok yea that helps a lot, I'm just wondering about two things. When mgh and 1/2 mu^2 are calculated, mg = 294N. So m alone would have a value of roughly 30kg? would this be used instead of the 294N for the 1/2mu^2 part of the equation?
Also I am looking for the speed at the bottom (presuming it means when she reaches the bottom of the slide and not when she comes to a stop).
Would this be achieved by saying 413 J = mgh + 1/2mu^2 ?

King_Silver said:
Ok yea that helps a lot, I'm just wondering about two things. When mgh and 1/2 mu^2 are calculated, mg = 294N. So m alone would have a value of roughly 30kg? would this be used instead of the 294N for the 1/2mu^2 part of the equation?
Also I am looking for the speed at the bottom (presuming it means when she reaches the bottom of the slide and not when she comes to a stop).
Would this be achieved by saying 413 J = mgh + 1/2mu^2 ?

Yes, assuming we take g to be 9.8, the girls mass will be 30kg. In fact the equation is really 0.5mu^2 + mgh = 413 + 0.5mv^2 where v is her final speed at the bottom of the slide. The left hand side of the equation is the total energy that she starts with at the top of the slide, the right hand side is where that energy goes to by the time she reaches the bottom; some is lost as heat (413J) and the rest is the girl's kinetic energy.

This is, in effect, the principle of conservation of energy.

Likes King_Silver
mcairtime said:
Yes, assuming we take g to be 9.8, the girls mass will be 30kg. In fact the equation is really 0.5mu^2 + mgh = 413 + 0.5mv^2 where v is her final speed at the bottom of the slide. The left hand side of the equation is the total energy that she starts with at the top of the slide, the right hand side is where that energy goes to by the time she reaches the bottom; some is lost as heat (413J) and the rest is the girl's kinetic energy.

This is, in effect, the principle of conservation of energy.
Perfect! :) I understand it now thanks for that huge help!

What is the "Girl on Slide" problem?

The "Girl on Slide" problem is a classic physics problem that involves a girl sliding down a frictionless slide. The problem seeks to find the acceleration and velocity of the girl at different points along the slide.

What are the key concepts involved in solving the "Girl on Slide" problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the "Girl on Slide" problem are Newton's laws of motion, specifically the concept of acceleration, and the principles of kinematics, which involve the equations of motion to describe the motion of an object.

How do I approach solving the "Girl on Slide" problem?

To solve the "Girl on Slide" problem, you should start by drawing a free-body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the girl. Next, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to determine the acceleration of the girl. Finally, use the equations of motion to calculate the velocity of the girl at different points along the slide.

What are some common mistakes made when solving the "Girl on Slide" problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving the "Girl on Slide" problem include forgetting to take into account all the forces acting on the girl, using the incorrect units in calculations, and not carefully considering the direction of acceleration and velocity vectors.

Are there any real-world applications of the "Girl on Slide" problem?

Yes, the "Girl on Slide" problem has real-world applications in fields such as engineering and sports. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of athletes on a ski slope or a water slide, and to design safer and more efficient playground equipment.