What is the equation for Faraday's law of electrolysis?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
J89
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If 3.00 10-3 kg of gold is deposited on the negative electrode of an electrolytic cell in a period of 2.62 h, what is the current in the cell during that period? Assume the gold ions carry one elementary unit of positive charge.




Homework Equations


delta Q/delta T
n*q*vd*A: n = moles, q=charge, vd=drift speed and A= cross sectional area of conductor.



The Attempt at a Solution



I'm having a bit trouble starting this because I think we have to derive an equation since we only have mass and the time, and nothing else given. I tried to put the two equations posted together, but it did not look right nor make sense. Can someone give a hint on how to start this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Google Faraday's law of electrolysis.

But with some thinking you should be able to solve it on your own. There is one electron per atom - how many electrons per mole?
 
Last edited by a moderator: