What is the equation of the angle bisector formed by two intersecting lines?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
V0ODO0CH1LD
Messages
278
Reaction score
0
I've seen that if you have two lines: r = Ax + By + C = 0 and r = Dx + Ey + F = 0, you can say the equation of the line that is the angle bisector of r and s is given by: [tex]\frac{|Ax + By + C|}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}=\frac{|Dx + Ey + F|}{\sqrt{D^2+E^2}}.[/tex]
Why is that?

I would think to equate the distances from the angle bisector to each line. Is that what is happening here?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I would think to equate the distances from the angle bisector to each line. Is that what is happening here?
Yes.
Angular bisector of an angle made by two lines is the locus of all points which are equidistant from both the lines. So that the equation of the bisector is given by equating the distances...