Quadratic equation of two variables

In summary: The general form of the equation of a conic section is a bit misleading in that sense, as it includes all degenerate cases as well. Sorry I couldn't help with that!
LagrangeEuler
Quadratic equation
[tex]Ax^2+Bxy+Cy^2+Dx+Ey+F=0 [/tex]
is
(a) elipse when ##B^2-4AC<0##
(b) parabola when ##B^2-4AC=0##
(c) hyperbola when ##B^2-4AC>0##
I found this in Thomas Calculus. However for some values of parameters ##A=17##, ##C=8##, ##B=\sqrt{4 \cdot 17 \cdot 8}##, ##D=E=0##, ##F=20## I got just straight line. Where is mistake?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no mistake. That quadratic equation is the general equation of a conic section. (When you intersect a cone with a plane.) So in special cases you can get a line, intersecting two lines or even a single point. A circle is also possible. Just google "conic section", you'll understand what I mean...

erbahar said:
There is no mistake. That quadratic equation is the general equation of a conic section. (When you intersect a cone with a plane.) So in special cases you can get a line, intersecting two lines or even a single point. A circle is also possible. Just google "conic section", you'll understand what I mean...
Well look my example. In my post for ##A=17##, ##C=8##, ##B=\sqrt{4 \cdot 17 \cdot 8}##, ##D=E=0##, ##F=20## I got just straight line. And for that is ##B^2-4AC=0##, and it is not parabola.

Look at the first wikipedia picture:

and imagine shifting the purple plane to the right until it contains the origin. The 'conic section' is a line in that case

Let me expand Thomas' classification then:

(a) elipse (or circle; or point) when B2−4AC<0
(b) parabola (or line) when B2−4AC=0
(c) hyperbola (or two intersecting lines) when B2−4AC>0

the cases in the paranthesis are called degenerate conic sections. (not sure this nomencleture applies to circle though)

Here is curve for ##A=17##, ##C=8##, ##B=\sqrt{4 \cdot 17 \cdot 8}##, ##F=20##. These are two parallel lines.

Attachments

• parabola.png
    parabola.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 260
That's funny -- you sure ? With that choice of parameters the first three terms form a square and those are usually non-negative, not -20

Likes LagrangeEuler
BvU said:
That's funny -- you sure ? With that choice of parameters the first three terms form a square and those are usually non-negative, not -20
Sorry. My mistake. ##F=-20##. Other parameters, are the same. So equation is
[tex]17x^2+\sqrt{4 \cdot 17 \cdot 8}xy+8y^2=20[/tex]

Sort of like ##x^2 + 2xy +y^2 = 1 ## if I try to keep it simple.
The intersection of ##z^2=(x+y)^2 ## with ##z^2=1## in homogenous coordinates with a determinant 0, leading to one of the degenerate cases

I grant you I have a hard time forming a picture like in #4 ... ( @erbahar ? )

BvU said:
Sort of like ##x^2 + 2xy +y^2 = 1 ## if I try to keep it simple.
The intersection of ##z^2=(x+y)^2 ## with ##z^2=1## in homogenous coordinates with a determinant 0, leading to one of the degenerate cases

I grant you I have a hard time forming a picture like in #4 ... ( @erbahar ? )

Didn't quite understand the question (I feel like I might have missed the context, sorry)
My initial reply #2 was to give a geometrical answer to the question.

Of course you can always write something like:
##(ax + by + c)^2 = -4##

which is a perfetly legitimate quadratic, however it does have no solution in the real plane. Parallel line example is also of that sort.

eg. ##(ax + by + c)(ax + by + d) = 0##

OP corrected the value of F so the form is ##(ax+by)^2 = ## positive, with two parallel lines. I wondered what picture to form of a plane intersecting a cone in that specific case ...

BvU said:
OP corrected the value of F so the form is ##(ax+by)^2 = ## positive, with two parallel lines. I wondered what picture to form of a plane intersecting a cone in that specific case ...
Oh, I see now. I don't think it's possible to picture that as an intersection.

1. What is a quadratic equation of two variables?

A quadratic equation of two variables is a polynomial equation in two variables, typically written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation of two variables?

To solve a quadratic equation of two variables, you can use methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and find its value.

3. What is the significance of the discriminant in a quadratic equation of two variables?

The discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, is a value that can be calculated from the coefficients of a quadratic equation. It determines the number and type of solutions the equation has. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two real solutions. If it is zero, the equation has one real solution. And if it is negative, the equation has two complex solutions.

4. Can a quadratic equation of two variables have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation of two variables can have a maximum of two solutions. This is because it is a second-degree polynomial, meaning its highest exponent is 2. Therefore, it can have at most two real or complex solutions.

5. How is a quadratic equation of two variables used in real life?

Quadratic equations of two variables are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, predicting the maximum profit of a business, or modeling the growth of a population. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics.