What is the Equivalence of Biconditional Connectives?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Herricane
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Herricane
Messages
61
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Show that P <-> Q is equivalent to (P ^ Q) V (¬P ^ ¬Q)

Homework Equations



P <-> Q is equivalent to (P -> Q) ^ (Q -> P)
P -> Q is equivalent to ¬p V Q
P -> Q is equivalent to ¬(P ^ ¬Q)
p -> Q is equivalent to ¬Q -> ¬P

The Attempt at a Solution



P <-> Q
(P -> Q) ^ (Q -> P)
(¬P V Q) ^ (¬Q V P)

I stuck I can't use the distributive law because I don't have one that is common to both parts.

P <-> Q
(P -> Q) ^ (Q ->P)
(¬Q -> ¬P)^(Q -> P) contrapositve law
(Q v ¬P) ^ (¬Q V P)
again I can't use the distributive law

Can anyone give my any hints?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just make a truth table? It only has 4 rows.
 
I was thinking of doing that, but I just thought there was a way to do it with the laws.
 
If the problem is to use the laws, don't you have to use the laws?

Why can't you use distribution? Distribute the whole left (or right) conjunct.

(¬P V Q) ^ (¬Q V P)
((¬P V Q) ^ ¬Q) V ((¬P V Q) ^ P)

And use it again.

((¬P ^ ¬Q) V (Q ^ ¬Q)) V ((¬P ^ P) V (Q ^ P))

What's wrong with (Q ^ ¬Q)?