What is the estimated mass flow in relativistic jets from black holes?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mcjosep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jets Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mcjosep
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
I have done a little reading on relativistic jets coming out of black holes. No where could I find a hypothetical amount of mass getting launched out of the poles. I was looking for an "amount per second" estimate. I know that it probably differs depending on how large the BH is, I am just curious as to what the number could be.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This paper derives some formulas from which the mass flow might be estimated:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0909.2576.pdf

But they don't carry out any such calculations.

This paper provides some numbers for the Lorentz factor (=50) and the total energy flow (10^46 ergs/sec):
http://www.bu.edu/blazars/paperstodownload/marscher_michiganjets.pdf

So if you assume that everything is an electron, then the total energy of each electron is gamma*mc^2, where the electron mass is 0.511 MeV/c^2 for each one, times 50 for the total energy.

1 erg = 624,150 MeV/c^2 ... so now you can determine the total MeV flow per second, and divide by the amount per electron ... and you have electrons per second.