What Is the Exact Value of x That Minimizes y for Positive x?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
recoil33
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
I have a function which is:

y = 27x2 + 2100/x
dy/dx = 54x - 2100/x2

Critical points are for what x values, is y undefined or equal to 0?

Therefore, in this case i can only see the value of 0, which would cause the function to be undefined. Due to x2 being on the denominator.

EDIT:

0 = 54x - 2100/x2
0 = 54x3 - 2100
((-2100)/(54))(1/3) = x

x = - 3.38
Although I'm looking for the amount of positive values of x, which y = 0.
So therefore, 1?

Question: "How many critical numbers does y have, for positive x?"
Solved, 1.

Which solved my next question, it's a local minimum.
______________________________________________________________________________

Give the exact value of the x that minimises y for positive x.
Could someone explain what i am looking for? I don't really understand.

I think.

P' = 54x - 2100/x2

Once x hits -3.38 it minises y?
Which is in decimal, but i could convert to a whole number?


Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi recoil33! :smile:
recoil33 said:
Give the exact value of the x that minimises y for positive x.
Could someone explain what i am looking for? I don't really understand.

they're asking for the value of x that you already found
Once x hits -3.38 it minises y?
Which is in decimal, but i could convert to a whole number?

i don't understand what they mean by "exact" :confused: …

unless they mean to keep it as (2100/54)1/3, = (1050)1/3/3
 
recoil33 said:
I have a function which is:

y = 27x2 + 2100/x
dy/dx = 54x - 2100/x2

Critical points are for what x values, is y undefined or equal to 0?

Therefore, in this case i can only see the value of 0, which would cause the function to be undefined. Due to x2 being on the denominator.

EDIT:

0 = 54x - 2100/x2
0 = 54x3 - 2100
((-2100)/(54))(1/3) = x
You've misplaced the sign here. It should be x= (+2100/54)1/3

x = - 3.38
Although I'm looking for the amount of positive values of x, which y = 0.
So therefore, 1?

Question: "How many critical numbers does y have, for positive x?"
Solved, 1.

Which solved my next question, it's a local minimum.
______________________________________________________________________________

Give the exact value of the x that minimises y for positive x.
Could someone explain what i am looking for? I don't really understand.

I think.

P' = 54x - 2100/x2

Once x hits -3.38 it minises y?
Which is in decimal, but i could convert to a whole number?


Thank you.
First, again, when you set y'= 0, 0= 54x- 2100/x2 and add 2100/x2 to both sides it becomes 2100/x2= 54x or x3= +2100/54 so your sign was wrong- this value of x is positive. Of course, you can reduce that fraction slightly: 2100/54= 1050/27 so the exact value of x is
x= (1050/27)1/3= 1050[/sup]1/3[/sup]/3 as tiny-tim suggested.
 
Last edited by a moderator: