What is the explanation for the confusion in Griffiths' energy derivation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
albega
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
In Griffiths section 4.4.3, he derives the energy in a dielectric system as
W=0.5∫D.Edτ.
Part of the derivation involves the relation
0.5Δ(D.E)=0.5Δ(εE2)=ε(ΔE).E=(ΔD).E
for infinitesimal increments, using D=εE. Now the part 0.5Δ(εE2)=ε(ΔE).E loses me so I was wondering if anybody could explain it. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can't "see" it, write out the components. I'm not going to do it in full but this shows what's happening:

##\frac 1 2 \nabla(\mathbf{D}.\mathbf{E}) = \frac 1 2 ( \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(D_x.E_x) \cdots) = \frac 1 2 \epsilon ( \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(E_x.E_x) \cdots) = \frac 1 2 \epsilon(2\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial_x}E_x \cdots) ## etc.
 
AlephZero said:
If you can't "see" it, write out the components. I'm not going to do it in full but this shows what's happening:

##\frac 1 2 \nabla(\mathbf{D}.\mathbf{E}) = \frac 1 2 ( \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(D_x.E_x) \cdots) = \frac 1 2 \epsilon ( \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(E_x.E_x) \cdots) = \frac 1 2 \epsilon(2\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial_x}E_x \cdots) ## etc.

Hmm I was using deltas not nablas...

Anyway I think I've worked it out. Effectively we have d(E2) and because d(E2)/dE=2E, d(E2)=2EdE. The fact the book used deltas blinded me from this...

Only issue now is understanding why εEΔE=εE.ΔE - how do I know they have the same direction? Note E is just the field due to some free charge distribution ρf and ΔE is just the change in E due to the addition of an amount Δρf of the free charge.
 
Last edited: