Energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric

In summary: As a check, the total bound charge should be zero. This is true for any closed surface as a consequence of the divergence theorem.In summary, in this conversation, the problem of two concentric conducting spherical shells with varying permittivity and charge is discussed. The displacement field, bound surface and volume charge, total energy, and capacitance of the system are calculated using equations such as Gauss's law and D = ε0E+P. The confusion regarding the volume bound charge and electric field outside the outer conductor is resolved, and the total bound charge is found to be zero as expected.
phys-student

Homework Statement

2 concentric conducting spherical shells, with radii a and 2a, have charge +Q and -Q respectively. The space between the shells is filled with a linear dielectric with permittivity ε(r) = (ε0*a)/(1.5*a - 0.5*r), which varies with distance r.
a) Use Gauss's law to determine the displacement field between the shells
b) Determine the bound surface and volume charge between the shells
c) Determine the total energy of the system
d) Determine the capacitance

Homework Equations

D = ε0E+P
D = εE

The Attempt at a Solution

I already did part a and got the following equation for D:
D = Q/4πr2 in the radial direction
For part b I rearranged the equation, D=εE to get an expression for E which was:
E=(Q(1.5a-0.5r))/4πr2ε0a in the radial direction
Then I used the equation D = ε0E+P to solve for P, giving me the following:
P=(Q/4πr2)(1 - ((1.5a - 0.5r)/a)) in the radial direction
Now that I had an expression for P I tried to find the surface and volume bound charge, this is where my confusion starts. For the volume bound charge I found the negative of the divergence of P and ended up getting an expression that depended on r.
Volume bound charge = Q/8πar2
It doesn't make sense to me that the volume bound charge depends on r so now I'm wondering if I did something wrong when I found the expression for P. Can anyone tell me if I've made a mistake somewhere? The other question that I have is regarding part c, is there an electric field outside the outer sphere because of the bound charges? The charge from the 2 spherical shells cancel out so Gauss's law should give 0 field outside the outer shell, but if the bound charge contributes to the field then it will be non-zero and I'll have to include it in my calculation of the total energy. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why does it bother you that there is a volume charge density that varies with r?

Your work looks good except you might want to check the sign of the volume bound charge.

Regarding whether there is a field outside the outer conductor, have you accounted for all the charge? There is free charge on the conductors and there is bound volume charge within the dielectric. But there is also some additional charge that you have not yet taken into account.

Likes phys-student
If you mean the surface bound charge on the outer surface when you say I haven't accounted for all the charge yet, then I already found that. Thanks for pointing out the sign of the volume bound charge, I found the spot where I missed a minus sign. Now it seems that the total volume bound charge and the surface bound charge on the outer surface cancel out so there is no electric field outside the sphere and I was able to complete the rest of the question.

OK. Good work.

1. What is the energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric?

The energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric is the amount of electric energy stored in the system due to the presence of the dielectric material.

2. How is the energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric calculated?

The energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric can be calculated using the following formula: U = (1/2) * (C1 * V1^2 + C2 * V2^2), where C1 and C2 are the capacitances of the individual shells, and V1 and V2 are the potentials of the shells.

3. What factors affect the energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric?

The energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric is affected by the capacitances of the individual shells, as well as the potential of the shells. It is also influenced by the dielectric constant of the material filling the space between the shells.

4. How does the energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric change when the dielectric material is changed?

The energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric changes when the dielectric material is changed due to the change in the dielectric constant. If the dielectric constant increases, the energy stored in the system also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric be negative?

No, the energy of 2 spherical shells filled with dielectric cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the amount of electric energy stored in the system.