1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the field with one element ?

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    What is the "field with one element"?

From the definition of a field, it follows that such a thing does not exist. However a Google search reveals that apparently there is, or at least mathematicians think there ought to be, something that goes by that name. What is it? Is it called a "field" simply because of some analogies with fields even though it really isn't one?

The material (algebraic geometry) I've found online is over my head for the time being. I know basic abstract algebra, e.g. what a group, module, etc. is.

Also, the lecture notes I got from my uni mention the trivial field K = {a} with a*a=a, a+a=a and a=1=0.

Thanks in advance,
    Kamataat

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2
    This depends on your definition of field. My book says, "a field is a commutative ring with unity in which every nonzero element is a unit." But, my book defines a unity as a nonzero element of a ring that is a multiplicative identity. Therefore, there is no trivial field under this definition. If you simply throw out the condition that [itex]1 \neq 0[/itex], you can, of course define the trivial field.

4. May 17, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What Moo of Doom said is correct: most definitions of "field" require that there exist distinct 0 and 1. Dropping that requirement, then there can exist a "field" having only one element. It would have to be, then exactly what you give a "the trivial field".

5. May 17, 2007 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

There is a ring with one element. It is commutative, has no zero divisors, has no proper ideals, etc. Whether you call this a field or not depends on whether you allow fields with 1=0, since it trivially satisfies every other property. And if you do, then for any element a in such a field a=a*1=a*0=0, so the field has exactly one element (which is why the condition that 1 and 0 be distinct is usually added).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?