What is the final speed of the block before it hits the ground in each case?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisMC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ChrisMC
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
In the figure, m1 = 3.0 kg. Use work and energy to find the speed of the m2 = 1.7 kg block just before it hits the floor in each of the following cases.

http://www.webassign.net/knight/p11-48alt.gif

(a) The table is frictionless.
. m/s
(b) The coefficient of kinetic friction of the 3.0 kg block is 0.15.
m/s


F= mg
F= mg-Muk*n
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Chris

Please show some attempt at a solution using the requested work-energy approach. I would suggest using the conservation of total energy principle for each case.
 
I honestly don't know where to start, I thought if the mass on top was heavier than the mass hanging wouldn't move.
 
ChrisMC said:
I honestly don't know where to start, I thought if the mass on top was heavier than the mass hanging wouldn't move.
well,no, on a frictionless surface, for example, the mass on the table could be enormous, but it would move with just the slightest force acting on it (the hanging mass could be therefore quite small). Are you familiar with the conservation of energy equations? Try writing them for the frictionless case, and then for the friction case.