What is the force of the boom on the car at the top of circle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car moving in a vertical circle on a rigid boom, with a radius of 10 m and a combined weight of 5.0 kN. The car has a speed of 5.0 m/s at the top of the circle, and the question asks for the force of the boom on the car at that point. Using the equations Fc = mv^2/r and Fg = mg, the calculated answer was 3725 N downwards, but the correct answer is 3.7 kN upwards, as the equation Fb = Fg - 1275 N becomes Fb = 1275 N - Fg when considering down as positive.
gijungkim

Homework Statement

An amusement ride consists of a car moving in a vertical circle on the end of a rigid boom. The radius of the circle is 10 m. The combined weight of the car and riders is 5.0 kN. At the top of the circle the car has a speed of 5.0 m/s which is not changing at that instant. What is the force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle?

a.3.7 kN (Down)

b.1.3 kN (Down)

c.6.3 kN (Up)

d.3.7 kN (Up)

e.5.2 kN (Down)

Homework Equations

Fc = mv^2/r
Fg = mg = 5000N
m = weight / g = 510kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the car is at the top of the circle, I thought it would be
Fc = Fb + Fg
Fc = 510 * (5)^2 / 10 = 1275 N
Fb = Fg - 1275 N = 3725 N
So I thought the answer was 3725 N to the down way, but the answer says it is d which is 3.7kN to the up way.
Can you tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Fc=Fb+Fg is correct if you are taking down as positive throughout. But how did that equation become Fb = Fg - 1275N?

haruspex said:
Your Fc=Fb+Fg is correct if you are taking down as positive throughout. But how did that equation become Fb = Fg - 1275N?
Oh I'm so dumb haha so since Fb = 1275N - Fg = -3725 N and I picked down as positive, the force is up 3725 N right??

gijungkim said:
Oh I'm so dumb haha so since Fb = 1275N - Fg = -3725 N and I picked down as positive, the force is up 3725 N right??
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Thank you so much!

1. What is the force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle?

The force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle is known as centripetal force. It is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is the force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle calculated?

The force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle is calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the car, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula is known as the centripetal force formula.

3. What factors affect the force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle?

The force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle is affected by the mass of the car, the velocity of the car, and the radius of the circle. The greater the mass or velocity of the car, or the smaller the radius of the circle, the greater the force of the boom will be.

4. How does the force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle relate to the speed of the car?

The force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle is directly proportional to the square of the speed of the car. This means that as the speed of the car increases, the force of the boom will also increase. Additionally, if the speed of the car is doubled, the force of the boom will quadruple.

5. Can the force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle be greater than the weight of the car?

Yes, the force of the boom on the car at the top of the circle can be greater than the weight of the car. This is because the force of the boom is directed towards the center of the circle, while the weight of the car is directed towards the ground. As long as the car is moving in a circular path, the force of the boom will always be present, regardless of the weight of the car.