What is the Formula for Finding the Area of a Circular Coil?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 32K views
ikentrovik
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Please see attached image file

I understand everything in this problem except I don't know how they got (1/4) in the area of a coil.

Can someone explain this? I have googled it and I am not getting a clear answer.

I thought the area of a coil could be (pi(r)^2)L where l is the length. But wouldn't this be a cyclinder? How would I find it when the inner core of the cyclinder is missing?

Thank you
 
Attachments
  • toouterspace.png
    toouterspace.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 5,122
Physics news on Phys.org
The coil is circular. The area of a circle is ##\pi r^2## and r is half of the diameter. The expression you gave is not an area, it has dimensions length^3.
 
You are right. I guess I gace volume. What I really don't understand is why there is a (1/4). Could you please explain why? Thank you.
 
Orodruin said:
The area of a circle is ##\pi r^2## and r is half of the diameter.

r = d/2 implies r^2 = d^2/4 ...
 
Oh ok thank you! What I did was divide the diameter in half right away. Thats why I was confused.